Thread Maker v4.1

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Thread Maker v2.1

Post by chrisb »

KurtF wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:07 pm it doesn't allow for selecting different pitch sizes for a given metric size
Fastener's "Threaded rod" provides also "Custom" settings.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
KurtF

Post by KurtF »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:09 pm Fastener's "Threaded rod" provides also "Custom" settings.
But it doesn't work. It allows modification of pitch only, and that fails to update (in my weekly build FC) any value other than 1.0.
May whatever Higher Power you believe in bless the Ukrainians. They are a decent people who never hurt anybody.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

KurtF wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:43 pm But it doesn't work.
Can you show a non working example? Here is some random thread diameter/length/pitch rod. Note that for that to work the Diameter field must be set to "Custom" and Thread to "True"
Attachments
CustomThreadedRod.JPG
CustomThreadedRod.JPG (85.44 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
KurtF

Post by KurtF »

Sure.

This is shown on a 1mm grid. No matter what I enter for pitch, and even when I mark it for recompute to force it, pitch never changes from default 1.0.

FCSS.jpg
FCSS.jpg (478.52 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
FCFastenerThread.FCStd
(50.24 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

EDIT: I just noticed you used threaded rod, and I used screw tap (thinking it was threaded rod). So... I found threaded rod and reproduced the error with it. Thanks for checking, but error still present.
May whatever Higher Power you believe in bless the Ukrainians. They are a decent people who never hurt anybody.
KurtF

Post by KurtF »

Ok, nevermind my problem report. I just caught the bit about "diameter set to custom". When I set that, it worked fine with 0.5 and 1.5 pitches.

So... if I want M6 x 0.5, I have to choose "Custom" x 0.5. Got it. I do like Fastener Workbench a little better now. I'm gonna play with it some more (how I learn). Thanks again!
KurtF

Post by KurtF »

Ok, I got to play with the latest Fasteners WB, and essentially it captures my ThreadMaker functionality in the Threaded Rod. Fastener Threaded Rod lets me create all the thread x pitch combinations from my handy-dandy metric threads chart (https://www.engineersedge.com/hardware/ ... sizes1.htm), and allows for the small shaft diameter variations from pitch to pitch within a metric size.

In Fasteners I can create the thread and the various heads separately, and join them (unless I only need the threads). Very cool! First time I did this operation, it revealed an unexpected recession cut into the bolt head, around the threads. I set length on the bolt to 0, then insert my thread rod with 1 mm inset into the bolt head because of this recession. I tried this with several different bolt head styles and got different unwanted artifacts in the 3D view when setting their length to 0 or even to 1 mm.
FCSS.jpg
FCSS.jpg (756.41 KiB) Viewed 2419 times

So far most of my threads have been joined to other objects, like ball joints, journal bearings, and other solid bodies. So I'm gonna stick to my ThreadMaker habit for now (besides... did the work might as well use it!) But for any artists out there, or someone looking to make a nice lava-lamp, you'll need ThreadMaker to generate good models for pitch combinations which are WAY off the chart. :-)
FCSS.jpg
FCSS.jpg (269.16 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
Above: M2 x 5.0 pitch
KurtF

Post by KurtF »

I just updated top post content for V3.0.

"V3.0 Update: Improved stability and got rid of the flipping sketch problem. Far more goof-proof. Removed warning about saving document with broken sketches. Model generation now succeeds with just about anything you can throw at it; and on rare error when it breaks, it will be easily recoverable with Undo or correcting your silly inputs. :-) The 4 PD Bodies were re-structured around improved sketches."

Enjoy!
KurtF

Re: Thread Maker v3.1

Post by KurtF »

One last tweak-- v3.1 places Left/Right handed thread control into spreadsheet.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Thread Maker v3.1

Post by Kunda1 »

This project is on fire. Nice work here!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
KurtF

Re: Thread Maker v4

Post by KurtF »

Thank you, Kunda1. Nice of you to say. I just posted V 4 in top post. Added tapered (NPT) thread capability.