From FreeCAD To The Real World

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TotalHopeless

Re: From FreeCAD To The Real World

Post by TotalHopeless »

Hello,

I want to share with you one of the projects I did with Freecad.

Regards.

0004.png
0004.png (412.53 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
0003.png
0003.png (179.88 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
0002.jpg
0002.jpg (252.39 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
0001.jpg
0001.jpg (360.54 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
Attachments
0005.png
0005.png (212.99 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

TotalHopeless wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:22 am ...
I like that. In my opinion, this is a very good use case for freecad.
such cases are very common. in my opinion, this will be the first big wave in the commercial use of feecad. very soon
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
ThanklessLiving

Post by ThanklessLiving »

I am triggered by the drawing showing all the parts and the assembly, but it is quite impressive nonetheless, I think it's one of the more involved real-life projects that Freecad has been used for. Where did you get those nice perforated shelves? Did you subcontract the entire thing?
thomas-neemann wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:37 am I like that. In my opinion, this is a very good use case for freecad.
such cases are very common. in my opinion, this will be the first big wave in the commercial use of feecad. very soon
This is very true, functional and free software becomes very attractive when compared to proprietary software that costs hundreds per year per license ...
TotalHopeless

Post by TotalHopeless »

ThanklessLiving wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:42 pm
I am triggered by the drawing showing all the parts and the assembly, but it is quite impressive nonetheless, I think it's one of the more involved real-life projects that Freecad has been used for. Where did you get those nice perforated shelves? Did you subcontract the entire thing?
The truck was made by a external company. I designed it and send it to them to the manufacture. The selves are made with a single metal sheet, laser perforated and bent to the proper shape.
haegar

Post by haegar »

Hello,
I am quite a noob in 3D design. I started with FreeCAD about 3 years ago after retirement with the big goal to design and to print r/c sailboats. My first bigger FC project was the design of a RG65-class sailboat which I colpeted last year. To be honest, I did it not completely by myself and the work was not done completely in FC, However, I think it's worthwhile to be presented here.

The lines of the RG65 "Stingray" have been designed by Andreas Hoffmann, a German r/c modeller and well known designer of r/c sailboats. The linesplan was developed in DELFTship. The only way to transfer the data to FC I found at this point in time was to use a STL mesh as an intermediate media.
The hull model from DELFTship
The hull model from DELFTship
Abb2.jpg (89.7 KiB) Viewed 5123 times
After many hours of drawing, crying and struggling with the topological naming issue (about which I learned only much later), I came up with a complete kit for 3d printing.
some details: keel box and sail servo
some details: keel box and sail servo
Abb8.jpg (146.18 KiB) Viewed 5123 times
The assembled Stingray. The kit was done completely in FC
The assembled Stingray. The kit was done completely in FC
Screenshot C Rigg 2021-08-18 162344.jpg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 5123 times
In the mean time, the RG65 Stingray was printed several times. The kit works fine with a standard sized 3D printer with a workspace of about 25 x 25 x 25cm³. It is highly recommended to use LW-Filament (-PLA or -ASA) with a thin glass layer.

The last picture shows the prototype sailing upwind
Upwind ...
Upwind ...
Abb15 bearbeitet.jpg (614.9 KiB) Viewed 5123 times
Regards from Teltow, Germany
Achim
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

FreeCAD supports importing IGES files which appears some users have successfully transferred info to Solidworks, although one users reports he was not able to follow the instructions see https://forum.delftship.net/Public/topi ... delftship/
haegar

Post by haegar »

Thanks for the hint, I know this. The IGES data exported by FREEship (DELFTship has it in the pro version only) is unfortunately not compatible with FC. Even reformatting with another program like Fusion did not work. The best result I got was a collection of a lot of NURBS(?) surfaces, which I could not sew together. Although the data was obviously in FC, it was not usable for me. I do not now what was the reason behind. Anyway, today, I would do things different. I found a solution to re-engineer the hull lines in FC with good accuracy.
Achim
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

haegar wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:35 am ...
I would like to test it, can you upload a test file somewhere?
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
haegar

Post by haegar »

I will do later today. I have to dig into my archive first
Achim
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

haegar wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:35 am Thanks for the hint, I know this. The IGES data exported by FREEship (DELFTship has it in the pro version only) is unfortunately not compatible with FC. Even reformatting with another program like Fusion did not work. The best result I got was a collection of a lot of NURBS(?) surfaces, which I could not sew together. Although the data was obviously in FC, it was not usable for me. I do not now what was the reason behind. Anyway, today, I would do things different. I found a solution to re-engineer the hull lines in FC with good accuracy.
Sounds like it would be a good test file to improve FC IGES import @thomas-neemann. Given you were seeing NURBS can it export to 3DM format?