From FreeCAD To The Real World

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Re: From FreeCAD To The Real World

Post by paullee »

3D printing looks great :)

Just wondering what is the purpose of the component in a window.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

paullee wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:41 am 3D printing looks great :)

Just wondering what is the purpose of the component in a window.

It's to block the external darkening shutter (not the windows, the external, in Italy it's named "Persiana"). The original it's iron, but I've created the same, with a better shape and pretty solid (100% infill of course), in very basic PLA :-)

This was my first time ever using Part Design, very cool and fun!
Attachments
wepz.jpg
wepz.jpg (116.65 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

I see, thanks :)
JaffH

Post by JaffH »

ragohix769 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:57 pm My real world stuff made with our loved FreeCAD:

Iron block system for my darkening shutter (outside the window) is broken. Easy redraw from scratch in Part Design with @FreeCADNews
and then printed. Thanks #FreeCad #opensource #community #foss :-)
Looks good. I was just looking for something similar for my back door. What to print it on my Creality Ender 3. The model looks pretty simple.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

JaffH wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:29 am
ragohix769 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 3:57 pm My real world stuff made with our loved FreeCAD:

Iron block system for my darkening shutter (outside the window) is broken. Easy redraw from scratch in Part Design with @FreeCADNews
and then printed. Thanks #FreeCad #opensource #community #foss :-)
Looks good. I was just looking for something similar for my back door. What to print it on my Creality Ender 3. The model looks pretty simple.
Here you have my project file, if you want to modify it, very very simple Part Design job :-)
Attachments
fermafinestra_mio_part_Design_007.FCStd
(96.18 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Great project: modeled, printed, done.
Some comments:
- I would have made all sketches fully constrained, because I usually have to readjust things after a first prototype.
- Choosing the origin so that you can benefit from symmetry, even modeling only half and doing a mirror is possible.
- Using the Hole feature saves one feature/dressup and makes you less dependent on topology.
- The simple copy seems superflous to me.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:idea:
Attachments
fermafinestra_mio_part_Design_007_SHALM.FCStd
(66.43 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Capture d’écran 2022-05-06 185156.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-05-06 185156.jpg (77.57 KiB) Viewed 3290 times
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

chrisb wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:11 pm Great project: modeled, printed, done.
Thanks Chris :-)
Some comments:
1 I would have made all sketches fully constrained, because I usually have to readjust things after a first prototype.
2 Choosing the origin so that you can benefit from symmetry, even modeling only half and doing a mirror is possible.
3 Using the Hole feature saves one feature/dressup and makes you less dependent on topology.
4 The simple copy seems superflous to me.
1) That's right. It was fully constrained for the 3/4 of the time, but at the end I made some (big) modification from scratch, so the final body and sketches were not so clean.

2) Mirroring was the first choice but I was not so capable (now I am :-)), I made a lot of other models design to finish this little micro project. In the beginning I used Part creating only boolean edit, it was very difficult. I never used Part Design logic, so this was my first time, it was fun, but I had problem understanding part design flow process, and that part it's not so compatibile with part design feature design. I can say that this micro-project was very useful to understand :-)

3) I've seen this, because when I made some modification, a lot messed up quickly becuase this wasn't created with discipline. So when I was sure about measures, I quickly recreated all from scratch (we can say "rought").

4) simple copy was to experiment with rendering in mesh and to export, i've not saved that.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions :-)
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

Updated this microproject with mirror feature and fully constrained sketches :-)

Thanks a lot to all for advices and suggestions ;-)
Attachments
fermafinestra_mio_part_Design__MIRROR_008.FCStd
(43.18 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
wepz_12.png
wepz_12.png (210.85 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
ngocminhdao88

Post by ngocminhdao88 »

I just grinded a 120 grad spotting drill, using FreeCAD as help tool to figure out the angle needed to set on the grinder. Wonky geometry, but the drill bit works ;)
Attachments
120_grad_spotting_drill.jpg
120_grad_spotting_drill.jpg (112.4 KiB) Viewed 2725 times