more thread experiments

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

more thread experiments

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi again fellas

In my thread example I made the start points for the helix at so many degrees from the next helix, rather than lifting one helix vertically relative to the next helix. That seem to me to be closer to life than lifting a helix vertically and then having to deal with cutting the ends etc., which I also tried in another non-posted example.

The create ruled surface between two helix works with the vertical lifting method but it goes wacko with the rotation of helix method. Either way I could not get beyond a ruled face, and lines. I couldn't get a solid. Interestingly extruding the helix did work for the vertical part, i.e. the top and bottom of a square-ish thread.

I though I would let it go for now, but some after 0.12 is finalised I thought I might investigate it further and start another topic on threads and see if we can resolve it this time, as the last time it seems to have ended without anyone succeeding.

Accurate real threads may or may not be important, depending on what one is doing but they sure are an impressive looking thing to show off FreeCAD.

Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Show your FreeCAD projects here!

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi again
I decided to post this as well. Just a screen shot as the STDFC file is to big to upload.

This thread I created from ruled surface between two helix vertical separated by lifting the helix vertically, i.e. not by rotating the helix start point.

Jim

threads helix vertical lift the cut method.jpeg
threads helix vertical lift the cut method.jpeg (176.63 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hi Jim, amazing! A lot of people already broke their head on that thread/helix problem...
Once you got your modifications to the code back, can you make a patch of it and post it on the tracker? ( https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/free-cad ) so it can be included in the source code...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Yeah, there was a "threads" topic in "Help on Using FreeCAD" a few months ago, but of course phpBB's crappy search won't give me the time of day, saying that "threads" is too common a word. :roll:
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi fellas

this is a link to the former "screw threads" topic.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=915&p=7041&hilit=helix#p7041

Your right about search "threads" Norm, the trick was to search for "helix". :)

Yorik the little fix I was talking about was adding the ability to enter the angle for a conical helix "at creation" from the part .... create primitives ... dialogue. At the moment you have to create a cylindrical helix and then change the angle, so I just added an extra line to accept the "Angle" parameter data in the dialogue box.

Just a little thing but a good education exercise for me as it is copying some of what is there and linking up some stuff already there to the GUI rather than having to start from scratch. I got it to work on an earlier version but I will do it again and send the code in, over the next few days.

Also Yorik that recovery tool under tool menu only shows up if you go to the "complete" workbench. So you have to know to go to "complete" before you ever find that it exists. Shouldn't it be in every or nearly ever workbench?

good night

Jim