roller bearing

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lrw66

roller bearing

Post by lrw66 »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16131 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 3129ae4296e40ed20e7b3d460b86e6969acbe1c3
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

Hi All,
I have been learning FreeCAD for a few weeks now. I got stuck on the design of a ball bearing, not just a single ball, the whole race bearing. I only did it as a way of learning some of the features in FreeCAD, and where to find them in the workbenches. I then had a go at designing a roller bearing, similar sort of process, different end product. Neither of these bearings are for any purpose other than learning. I could have gone a lot further with tweaking both of the designs, adding fillets etc. But that bit is easy and doesn't teach me much.
It all started when I was watching FreeCAD tutorials on Youtube and a man drew a roller bearing in Solidworks. I had to have a go!
I have only included the file for the roller bearing, the file for the ball bearing is 1.24 Mb in size, this one is only 451 Kb. I wonder why the difference?
I have also included images of both bearings. Yes I know the roller bearing probably shouldn't have slots in it!
Lee
Attachments
roller bearing.PNG
roller bearing.PNG (61.29 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
roller bearing 2.FCStd
(451.44 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
ball bearing.PNG
ball bearing.PNG (82.6 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: roller bearing

Post by Kunda1 »

Looks cool. How long did it take you?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
lrw66

Re: roller bearing

Post by lrw66 »

Sorry for the delay in replying Kunda1. I have been very busy with my garden. If I remember rightly the ball bearing took a few days of trial and error. It was my way of teaching myself FreeCAD, my first attempt at drawing something real. I don't know how long it would take now I have a bit more experience. The roller bearing didn't take as long, but I still don't understand why it is so much smaller in file-size. I am now working on a half size scale (is that worded right?) drawing of an Austin Seven cylinder head. I have drawn about 10 heads so far discovering what the easiest way of drawing is. I include an image of the head which I drew in 2 halves. If I 3D print it I hope to use the halves to produce the sand molds to make a head in cast iron. Thats the plan anyway! I haven't worried too much about draft angles or fillets as I think it might be easier to add these to the 3D printed molds using an epoxy filler. The size of the head as shown is 146.5mm long, 67mm wide and 19mm high. It is not quite right yet.
Lee
Attachments
head.PNG
head.PNG (87.25 KiB) Viewed 2009 times