1932 Ford 3-Window Highboy

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ppemawm
Veteran

1932 Ford 3-Window Highboy

Post by ppemawm »

I finally got around to completing the hotrod I promised earlier to my grandson (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19102). The assembly is only about 90% complete, but I have become bored of it by now. So, it is not likely I will add any more detail.

Here are a few screenshots of the model in perspective view:
Although the engine is an exact 1/4 scale, the rest of the model was created from interweb photos mostly 'free-hand'.  So if some of the proportions look a bit wonky it is probably due to my marginal sense of form and inability to closely 3D model what I see.
Although the engine is an exact 1/4 scale, the rest of the model was created from interweb photos mostly 'free-hand'. So if some of the proportions look a bit wonky it is probably due to my marginal sense of form and inability to closely 3D model what I see.
Picture1.jpg (285.03 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
Half of the body was created using PartDesign sketches/Pads, Part/intersection-of-two shapes and  then Part/Mirrored.<br />I did find a dimensioned drawing of the frame to work from which helped to determine major body proportions.
Half of the body was created using PartDesign sketches/Pads, Part/intersection-of-two shapes and then Part/Mirrored.
I did find a dimensioned drawing of the frame to work from which helped to determine major body proportions.
Picture2.JPG (167.24 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
I rolled the rear pan on the '32 original body to give it a more custom look.
I rolled the rear pan on the '32 original body to give it a more custom look.
Picture3.JPG (135.07 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
The grill was created using PartDesign/Linear Pattern Feature then Part mirrored.<br />Note that some of the front and rear suspension parts are missing such as the steering drag link, panhard bars, rear arch spring, etc.
The grill was created using PartDesign/Linear Pattern Feature then Part mirrored.
Note that some of the front and rear suspension parts are missing such as the steering drag link, panhard bars, rear arch spring, etc.
Picture4.JPG (163.67 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
The trumpet exhaust headers of my own design were probably the most difficult part to accurately model in 3D space.  I used Part Design sketches and multiple Part sweeps.  After several tries I finally got a fusion that passed geometry check. Thank goodness for the mirroring tool.
The trumpet exhaust headers of my own design were probably the most difficult part to accurately model in 3D space. I used Part Design sketches and multiple Part sweeps. After several tries I finally got a fusion that passed geometry check. Thank goodness for the mirroring tool.
Picture5.JPG (154.52 KiB) Viewed 8498 times
If anyone wants to finish the model ( :lol: ) or just wants to see more detail I can post the 36 Mb file on Dropbox. Or, if you just want to play around with the colors using Appearance and Set Colors tools like my grandson does...

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6706 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: f86a4e411ff7848dea98d7242f43b7774bee8fa0
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: 1932 Ford 3-Window Highboy

Post by kkremitzki »

That's quite impressive! You do a good job of showcasing what FreeCAD is capable of, that's for sure! :D

I'd appreciate a Dropbox link if you don't mind.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

Hi,
Beautiful, impressive work, one more time !
Or, if you just want to play around with the colors using Appearance and Set Colors tools like my grandson does...
No need for the that, the colors are great ! :D
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kkremitzki wrote: I'd appreciate a Dropbox link if you don't mind.
So do I. Thanks alot for sharing.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Truly Amazing again :D
This would be perfect 0.17 release material, but you did it all with 0.16 tools, Amazing :)
"fight the good fight"
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

kkremitzki wrote:I'd appreciate a Dropbox link if you don't mind.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6k2r2vx12xezr ... FCStd?dl=0
Download for educational use only. Model is copyrighted.

Please note that this assembly file was created by copy and pasting from two different files (body and engine assemblies) then modifying and adding several parts. Needless to say it is a bit of a mess. Only the external parts of the engine are included to save file space. The body was Draft/Clone scaled to approximately the same scale as the engine. The model is a mix of detailed parts and some simplication.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Wow! (I can't wait to see what you come up with next!)
A_3

Post by A_3 »

Wonderful!

How about 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air?
Something to support yours avatar :)
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

A_3 wrote:Something to support yours avatar
Actually, it would be a C7 Corvette...I do not think FreeCAD is up to the task (yet).
Now, the squarish '57 (my #2 all-time favorite) we might be able to do something with a few lofts or sweeps...sounds like another challenge.
A_3

Post by A_3 »

C7 or '57 will leave us speechless again ;)