Architecture work in FreeCAD

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
regis

Re: Architecture work in FreeCAD

Post by regis »

yorik wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:58 pm Great! This makes me think the clone object still has trouble to show the colors of its original shape...
Yes indeed the clone and the "make compound" tool.
it goes even further. If the original object(compound and/or clone of compound) has kept it color/material property, and you modify the original compound by adding or subtracting an object from it list, recompute it, the updated clone and the compound looses it's properties and sometimes shape.
regis

Post by regis »

For anyone interested, here is the model link for download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4iakqsaxjlc1 ... CStd2?dl=0
Attachments
2.png
2.png (165.54 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
FLOOR PLAN SHEET .jpg
FLOOR PLAN SHEET .jpg (416.66 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Nice!
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Looks good!

(Though I'd think again about putting the street addresses and phone number where anyone can see it)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

cool! what is the floor plan with the hatches and the dimensions made with?
regis

Post by regis »

bejant wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:44 am (Though I'd think again about putting the street addresses and phone number where anyone can see it)
Yes you have a good point. I'll be mindful next time.
bernd wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:01 am cool! what is the floor plan with the hatches and the dimensions made with?
as in freecad or what? I did everything in freecad, but I juggled between freecad and inkscape for the final output. Creating this small drawing with this level of details was the struggle of the century. There were so many problems encountered and so many inconsistencies. And when the project changes as is nature with most projects in architecture, making the changes is another painful process.
Due to this short commings, i'm seriously rethinking how to create a type of Techdraw but for Architecture. Techdraw didn't cut it for me. The dimensions were done in freecad. The hatch for siding on elevation initially where done with lines arrayed but there were problems with the display on sheet. It would not display, And when I exploded them to obtain individual lines they would display wrong. Techdraw views don't have the ability to control line weights (bummer) and I couldn't figure out how to get into the code and insert it as it is all in C++ or .h i think and i'm just a newbie at trying to figure out python. So it was just a maze of problems.
Another type of inconsistency is the text. I position the text in 3D in the right place, but when you come to sheet, it cannot be placed in the right position, I thought it strange that you can put text as dimensions but not regular texts.
In the end for the siding I had to create real 3D siding, had better luck with this but still had some issues with the booleans and all. It was a good project to showcase the current limitations and what must be fixed and made better in freecad. Overall good to crank some brain matter on it, but my conclusion is that freecad is not even remotely ready for serious production work. Things that used to work somehow didn't work anymore so that drops confidence dramatically.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-02-15 18-58-42.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-15 18-58-42.png (27.1 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
Screenshot from 2019-02-15 18-58-06.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-15 18-58-06.png (138.94 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
Screenshot from 2019-02-15 17-37-58.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-15 17-37-58.png (147.35 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
Screenshot from 2019-02-15 00-58-09.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-15 00-58-09.png (169.77 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Interesting to read what kind of problems you had. I had a look at your file and saw myself the measurements where done in Draft.

I started to play with techtdraw and messurements too. Yeah if it comes to drawing things in FreeCAD get difficault ... But cool to see you went down the way to get some final drawings.
regis

Post by regis »

Yeah I like to push through to end especially with small projects that can afford to be entertained by open source. It allows me to gauge the capacity and limitations. So hopefully when I'm capable of programming I may know what is useful to fix or implement.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Arch has got some cool people resently. There is something going on ... :D We may will see some cool improvements in 0.19 FreeCAD :ugeek:
regis

Post by regis »

Yeah I'm really excited aswell.