O&K Coach - Minas y Ferrocarril de Utrillas

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vailala

O&K Coach - Minas y Ferrocarril de Utrillas

Post by Vailala »

A model of a coach built by Orenstein & Koppel coach and supplied to the Minas y Ferrocarril de Utrillas (MFU) in 1903. This coach still exists and has been restored. I was very kindly supplied with 11 measurements for this coach by the preservation group Locomotora “Hulla” http://www.minasdeutrillas.com.

The model is drawn at 1:13.7 scale to run on 45 mm gauge track. It’s designed for 3d printing by mostly the SLS method. A few parts will be printed in acrylic resin and the door handles in lost wax/brass.

What I like about FreeCAD is that you can put a shape up on the screen and simply start hacking it about until it matches the image of the shape in your mind. Mostly FreeCAD runs as simply as this, but every now and again as the shapes you manipulate become more complex, you have to lift the bonnet and take a look at the topological engine underneath – as in filleting. I have gained much benefit and pleasure from using the FreeCAD help and advice blogs.
Attachments
MFU509.jpg
MFU509.jpg (129.17 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
MFU502.jpeg
MFU502.jpeg (168.38 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
MFU501.jpeg
MFU501.jpeg (108.66 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
MFU004.jpg
MFU004.jpg (162.81 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: O&K Coach - Minas y Ferrocarril de Utrillas

Post by NormandC »

Vailala,

Your attention to detail is most impressive. The screenshot showing the undercarriage is awesome. :)

I couldn't help notice that there are residual edges left from Boolean unions on the braces underneath the cabin. This is an oddity caused by the geometric modeling kernel used by FreeCAD (it's a third-party software library). There are two ways to get rid of the residual edges: Part --> Refine shape creates a new object unlinked to the input shape. The OpenSCAD Refine shape feature is based on the Part tool, but it creates a parametric feature that is linked to the input shape. In this specific case leaving the residual edges won't have any incidence on the exported STL files, so it is only an aesthetic matter. (But sometimes residual edges can prevent fillet operations from succeeding)

But these braces are the only parts showing these residual edges in your screenshots, so maybe you already know about it. If that's the case, just ignore what I wrote. ;)