BuildingPart does not have a Material Property

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Re: BuildingPart does not have a Material Property

Post by bernd »

great example. I have used them a lot :-) The buildingpart would get the name of the composite material as material
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

could someone confirm even latest master has no material in buildingpart?
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

bernd wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:49 pm A special steel detail which has to be welded. All parts use the same material. But because one would like to have a material bill of each part the several parts are not connected to one part by boolean operation. But in the finished building modell the whole detail is just one part, a building part. For all other persons except the manufactor of the part are only interested in the whole part and in its material. He would not like to have a look on every part of the detail to see what material the whole detail is made. In such a case it would make sense to give a material to the whole part.
I hope i get it right. You wabt a part with different level of detail (LoD). This is also a need in machine constructing and it is always a pita.

My suggestion would be

- a material object (no property, similar to ArchMaterial), that you can add on every since type of object (PartContainer, Body, ArchObject, Objects ....) that works independet of of the WB. (Also a mass, volume, surface object would be nice).

- a ViewContainer, which you can add on every object, where you can make some LoD of the object. When it is used somewhere, the ViewContainer is still linked with the object itself, so when you need an other LoD, you have easily access to a simpler LoD view model (of course you have choose and edit in the used function per hand, since there is no automation it is). Note in the gif and in the model, the "ViewContainer" (Group) is in the wrong level, it should be under the PartContainer, but when you move it into the PartContainer, it automatic build the treeview depends on its dependencies.

Peek_2022-11-17 15-01.gif
Peek_2022-11-17 15-01.gif (703.97 KiB) Viewed 779 times

test49.FCStd
(31.2 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

Greetings
user1234
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

bernd wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:29 pm could someone confirm even latest master has no material in buildingpart?
These are the properties:

2022-11-17_15-09.png
2022-11-17_15-09.png (40.74 KiB) Viewed 776 times

Greetings
user1234
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Mhh the points in the regard of LOD are good ones, but they are not what I am after.

I just would like to be able to asign a material to a building part objekt in FreeCAD Arch. Should we add it?
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

bernd wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:04 pm Mhh the points in the regard of LOD are good ones, but they are not what I am after.
Sorry, hen this was a misunderstand from my side.
bernd wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:04 pm I just would like to be able to asign a material to a building part objekt in FreeCAD Arch. Should we add it?
As property, App::PropertyMaterial? Is it usable? Even when i add it per hand, this property is atm useless, at least for GUI purposes.

Greetings
user1234
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

bernd wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:04 pm I just would like to be able to asign a material to a building part objekt in FreeCAD Arch. Should we add it?
AFAIR there has never been a Material property in BuildingParts...

I see no real issue with adding a material property to a BuildingPart, it's easy, but I'm wondering if that might not induce errors. For ex, a user would mistakenly add a material to a buildingPart and that would "override" individual materials below. If you need such functionality, wouldn't it be better to use for ex. a compound? Not sure of what I'm saying, just trying to figure out...

Note that if it's just for one specific case you can add one yourself pretty easily:

Code: Select all

obj.addProperty("App::PropertyLink","Material")
(or right-click the tree-> show all -> add property).

I think that's all that's needed, it should "just work".