[ ArchSketch - Feature (Merged) Preview ] - Slab, Curtain Wall, ArchWall etc. on Same ArchSketch

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

[ ArchSketch - Feature (Merged) Preview ] - Slab, Curtain Wall, ArchWall etc. on Same ArchSketch

Post by paullee »

Have your ever set out your building layout in a sketch like below, and wonder if -

- ArchWall would build walls based on edges in the middle part
- ArchStructure build slab based on the outermost one, with an opening in the middle
- ArchCurtainWall build panels based on the outermost one edges

So you have just 1 simple ArchSketch, just like any architectural student start learning sketching building layout in school. Now, you just edit the same ArchSketch, you have e.g. the shape / dimension of the slab and curtain wall changed at the same time.

Welcome for any comments :D

Screenshot from 2022-10-30 11-39-50.png
Screenshot from 2022-10-30 11-39-50.png (248.86 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
Screenshot from 2022-10-30 11-39-56.png
Screenshot from 2022-10-30 11-39-56.png (259.38 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
Screenshot from 2022-10-30 11-40-11.png
Screenshot from 2022-10-30 11-40-11.png (270.79 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
Screenshot from 2022-10-30 11-40-16.png
Screenshot from 2022-10-30 11-40-16.png (305.1 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
Screenshot from 2022-10-30 11-40-37.png
Screenshot from 2022-10-30 11-40-37.png (260.67 KiB) Viewed 2738 times
markko martin

Re: [ ArchSketch - Feature Preview ] - Slab, Curtain Wall, ArchWall etc. on Same ArchSketch

Post by markko martin »

Wow this feature is amazing :shock:
I've always had considerable difficulty in managing internal partition walls of buildings with freecad.
Can I have more sketches generators (ground floor, first floor ...) or just 1?
Paulee thank you very much for ArchSketch !!
Loris
paullee
Veteran

Re: [ ArchSketch - Feature Preview ] - Slab, Curtain Wall, ArchWall etc. on Same ArchSketch

Post by paullee »

Yes, just like ordinary Sketch, you can leverage features of Sketch.

You may have a look at the earlier Villa Savoye model, in which to my memory there are a 'main' ArchSketch for each floor. But the implementation there is different, so you may find there are a number of 'dependent' 'ArchSketch' now I want to avoid in the latest implementation.

Feel free to illustrate the ideal workflow in your mind for discussion, thanks :)

https://github.com/paullee0/FreeCAD_Villa-Savoye
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Amazing! Definitely any arch feature that can use sketches should support archsketches...
markko martin

Post by markko martin »

paullee wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:14 pm Yes, just like ordinary Sketch, you can leverage features of Sketch...
I have updated freecad and installed SketchArch Workbench. I create a first sketch with perimeter walls. Then I create a second sketch with internal partitions. I'm editing the second sketch and I have a problem :roll: . I would like to use Sketcher constrain point on object of the first sketch . If I use carbon copy I get the internal partitions + a copy of the perimeter walls. What am I doing wrong? I'm really a beginner :(
Loris
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Thanks @markko martin for testing, the add-on is experimental and more helps, like testing, providing ideas, better workflow, better terminologies etc. are welcome :)

Currently the documentation on the features are on the github Readme and discussion threads scattered around e.g. here, here etc. It seems you are trying to add an 2nd ArchSketch (e.g. 2/F) and would like to reference the 1st one (e.g. 1/F) right ?

It is possible currently in about 2 ways but it needs improvement to be productive:-

1. Use Sketch's inherent Link to External Edge feature. But it suffer from the 'toponaming problem' which Realthunder's solution to overcome are being incorporated in the master. You may try and expect some problem as discussed.
  2. ArchSketch 'hidden' feature allow to 'link' the 1st ArchSketch's edges to other ArchSketch; it works and it was used in the Villa Savoye model; it somehow overcomes the 'toponaming problem' but the workflow is not very intuitive, this is not exposed (yet).
I create a 'master' ArchSketch to include all edges of a floor plan in general, and make a few ArchSketches, e.g. 1 referenced to the edges of the external wall, 1 on the slab edges etc. (see screencapture below). Then, build the external wall with ArchWall, slab with ArchStructure on these 'referencing/dependent' ArchSketches. The worflow is not very intuitive and it creates a number of 'dependent' ArchSketch objects so I comes up with the idea suggested in the thread, and would like to implement this new workflow / feature.

Indeed I would also make an ArchSketch for the floor above the lower, and referenced some edges, e.g. the building envelope, apparently staircase core floor opening etc. (same screencapture below) It seems this 'referencing edge' feature is still useful in this way. Is it what is in your mind, or maybe you outline your idea here, thanks :D

paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

paullee wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:19 am
  1. Use Sketch's inherent Link to External Edge feature. But it suffer from the 'toponaming problem' which Realthunder's solution to overcome are being incorporated in the master. You may try and expect some problem as discussed.
To 'overcome' this 'toponaming problem' w/o the ArchSketch feature, I do something labour intensive - Link the edges to the 'master' sketches, then add new edges in the 'dependent' sketch and create point-to-point constraints to the new edges to make them exactly the same disposition as the 'external edges', add Block constraints to these edges to make them not movable and then delete all external edges.

Now, you have a duplicate of the edges, which would not suffered from the 'problem' :lol:

Good luck !
markko martin

Post by markko martin »

Thanks a lot Paulee :D !

Sorry for delay but my work takes a lot of time and unfortunately I've little time to experiment with freecad.

My current workflow could be:
- to get a dxf file from the topographic survey of the site
- to import the dxf file into freecad
- Draft2Sketch
- New ArchSketch + Carbon copy
- to delete the 1st sketch
- I start making walls

Edit Wall Segment Align and Edit Wall Segment Width are perfect.
Edit Attachment is good. If you could control position of the windows by edit sketch it would be perfect.

Soon I want to experiment with "Create Cell Complex" because in the initial phase it's essential to have surface of rooms to correctly position the internal partitions. I currently do this phase in my 2d cad. That allows me to draw without thinking about it. I can concentrate only on creating my building.
I'd like to do this in SketchArch but it all depends on "Create Cell Complex" .
If it's fast and semi-automatic it would be great!

Edit: Create Cell Complex is fast , simple and it works well ! The only small problem is that it calculates the surface of the rooms including the walls.
Is there a way to have area of the room without the walls?
Loris
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

YouTube Preview : ArchSketch + ArchStructure = Slab Layout
- https://youtu.be/DjxBXsw6z2I :)

User can now select particular edges in a sketch (ArchSketch) to create the shape of ArchStructure.

The development roadmap is to let the user have a sketch layout of a floor plan, and select e.g. the outer edges to create the floor slab Arch Structure, the rest for create ArchWall, the outermost edges creating Curtain Wall etc.

phpBB [video]