[ ArchSketch - Feature (Merged) Preview ] - Slab, Curtain Wall, ArchWall etc. on Same ArchSketch

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
markko martin

Re: [ ArchSketch - Feature Preview ] - Slab, Curtain Wall, ArchWall etc. on Same ArchSketch

Post by markko martin »

paullee wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:04 am User can now select particular edges in a sketch (ArchSketch) to create the shape of ArchStructure
Thanks paullee for improvements! :)
I don't understand if structure / wall / stair command will be activated inside or outside sketch edit mode.
Will it also be possible to assign different z coordinates to every single edge of the layout?
Loris
paullee
Veteran

Re: [ ArchSketch - Feature Preview ] - Slab, Curtain Wall, ArchWall etc. on Same ArchSketch

Post by paullee »

markko martin wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:19 pm
paullee wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:04 am User can now select particular edges in a sketch (ArchSketch) to create the shape of ArchStructure

I don't understand if structure / wall / stair command will be activated inside or outside sketch edit mode.
Will it also be possible to assign different z coordinates to every single edge of the layout?
To overcome the 'toponaming problem', the command would activate Edit mode of sketch ( this is kind of technical reason behind ).

Conceptually, it is possible to assign different z coordinates (different height, material so on), like currently it support different Width and Align for each edge / segment as ArchWall. It would become every complicated though.

What is your idea / workflow ?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Help Testing. Any one ?

SketchArch Add-on Files Updated
  1. ArchSketchObject.py
    (106.9 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
  2. InitGui.py
    (3.19 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
  3. Edit_Structure_Toggle.svg
    (22.79 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Arch WB Files Updated
  1. ArchStructure.py
    (68.45 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Example Model File
  1. Test_ ArchSketch_ 102_ Testing.FCStd
    (19.47 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Workflow Example
  1. Select the Arch Structure Object
  2. Click the SketchArch - Edit Structure button
  3. It make the underlying ArchSketch enter Edit mode
  4. Select the edges (to form a closed loop) as profile of the Structure object
  5. (select the edges again to remove them from forming the profile)
The current GUI is very rudimentary, Arch Structure newly add ArchSketchEdges attribute control / show the edges (index numbers) used in constructing the profile. Alternatively, there is message in the Report View. See screencapture. Anyone would like to improve the GUI? :)

Thanks

Screenshot from 2022-11-19 18-11-18.png
Screenshot from 2022-11-19 18-11-18.png (204.03 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Tested export to IFC, re-imported back to FC, seems ok.

Anyone familiar with IFCexport.py to check if the exported file has no problem ?

Test_ ArchSketch_ 102_ Testing-Structure_a.ifc
(2.93 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Test_ ArchSketch_ 102_ Testing-Structure.ifc
(2.5 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Screenshot from 2022-11-27 03-31-53.png
Screenshot from 2022-11-27 03-31-53.png (227.91 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
markko martin

Post by markko martin »

paullee wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:11 am ...Conceptually, it is possible to assign different z coordinates (different height, material so on), like currently it support different Width and Align for each edge / segment as ArchWall. It would become every complicated though.

What is your idea / workflow ?
In my opinion it’s important to have the possibility to assign different z coordinates because otherwise you can't control Arch Site and ground floor with a single layout for example.
We can copy body of part design workbench.
Every body have a sketch by default and every ArchBuildingPart may have an ArchSketch by default.
I’m attaching a photo with a possible workflow.
paullee wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:07 am Help Testing. Any one ?
I can’t find the path of SketchArch Add-on in my windows computer.
I find Arch WB but not ArchSketch Wb … :-(
Attachments
ArchSketch_Workflow_1.jpg
ArchSketch_Workflow_1.jpg (828.79 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Loris
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

markko martin wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:34 pm In my opinion it’s important to have the possibility to assign different z coordinates because otherwise you can't control Arch Site and ground floor with a single layout for example.
We can copy body of part design workbench.
Every body have a sketch by default and every ArchBuildingPart may have an ArchSketch by default.
I’m attaching a photo with a possible workflow.
In fact, if you are suggesting changing z-coordinates of an ArchSketch, it can be done like simple Sketch, which also has 'attachment' feature so user can make it 'attach' to some other object and move with the attached :)
markko martin wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:34 pm I can’t find the path of SketchArch Add-on in my windows computer.
Please check the Install Section of the github https://github.com/paullee0/FreeCAD_Ske ... iv-install

You may add this 'semi-automatically' or 'manually'.

It is not in the Add-on Manager list yet, or @Kunda1 can help ?

Thanks.

EDIT - And to have testing of feature in this thread, please download the file above, backup the original ones in your FreeCAD directories, move the downloaded ones into your FreeCAD directories.
markko martin

Post by markko martin »

paullee wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:58 pm In fact, if you are suggesting changing z-coordinates of an ArchSketch, it can be done like simple Sketch, which also has 'attachment' feature so user can make it 'attach' to some other object and move with the attached :)
Ok I finally figured out the right workflow:
1) I create an archsketch
2) I create walls from archsketch
3) I assign the correct z dimension to the wall
4) I assign the correct height to the wall

The last thing I don't understand is why I have to assign Floor Height inside the archsketch and not inside the building part.
I think this creates confusion.
markko martin wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:34 pm I can’t find the path of SketchArch Add-on in my windows computer.
I've already installed SketchArch wb but I couldn't find where to put your files.

Installation location: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\FreeCAD_SketchArch
Now I managed to update your wb and "cheese structure" works very well.
Thank you !
Loris
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

markko martin wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:26 pm
Ok I finally figured out the right workflow:
1) I create an archsketch
2) I create walls from archsketch
3) I assign the correct z dimension to the wall
4) I assign the correct height to the wall

The last thing I don't understand is why I have to assign Floor Height inside the archsketch and not inside the building part.
I think this creates confusion.
In fact, everything is experimental; currently the height of Walls should be controlled by parameters in Wall, whilst similar parameters are being added to ArchSketch to make it 'self-contained'.

And yes, may let ArchSketch to inherit the height of BuildingPart if available - can you add an Issue / Feature Request in the Github, thanks :)

markko martin wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:26 pm I've already installed SketchArch wb but I couldn't find where to put your files.

Installation location: C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\FreeCAD_SketchArch
Now I managed to update your wb and "cheese structure" works very well.
So you figured it out and it works right? Thanks for the comments.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

paullee wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:07 am Help Testing. Any one ?

1. ArchSketchObject.py
  2. InitGui.py
  3. Edit_Structure_Toggle.svg
Arch WB Files Updated
  1. ArchStructure.py
  1. ArchSketchObject.py
    ArchSketchObject.py
    (106.92 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Arch WB Files Updated
  1. ArchStructure.py
    ArchStructure.py
    (72.32 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Some fine-tuning : Now no need to manually set FaceMaker in ArchStructure, the base ArchSketch will tell the ArchStructure to use Bullseye as FaceMaker. And ground works to allow selecting group of edges instead individual edges.

(New updated files attached above, other files with no change same as posted in above-quoted post )

Anyone would help to test ? Thanks :)

Screenshot from 2022-12-25 22-58-17.png
Screenshot from 2022-12-25 22-58-17.png (185.29 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
markko martin

Post by markko martin »

paullee wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:07 pm FaceMaker. And ground works to allow selecting group of edges instead individual edges.
Anyone would help to test ? Thanks :)
Thanks paullee for improvements!
Selections group of edges works well in windows 10 :)

I don't understand how to edit the structure after creating it.
For example I would like to have the structure with only one hole instead of two.

If I try to open the file "Test_ ArchSketch_ 102_ Testing" I get the following error:
23:00:18 Traceback (most recent call last):
File "E:\Programmi\FreeCAD_weekly-builds-30716-2022-10-30-conda-Windows-x86_64-py310\Mod\Arch\ArchStructure.py", line 1031, in onChanged
extdata = self.getExtrusionData(obj)
File "E:\Programmi\FreeCAD_weekly-builds-30716-2022-10-30-conda-Windows-x86_64-py310\Mod\Arch\ArchStructure.py", line 865, in getExtrusionData
print (' obj.ArchSketchEdges - ', obj.ArchSketchEdges)
<class 'AttributeError'>: 'FeaturePython' object has no attribute 'ArchSketchEdges'

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.30716 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: cbd19631428f1d9eb4faae30220551608a648589
Python 3.10.6, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)
Installed mods: 
  * BIM 2021.12.0
  * fc_nodes 0.1.0
  * FreeCAD_SketchArch