Draft WB: Please confirm intended behaviours

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Draft WB: Please confirm intended behaviours

Post by Roy_043 »

Note that I am not the lead programmer of the Draft Workbench, Yorik van Havre is. I work on the documentation and try to fix bugs here and there.

catman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:37 pm"M,V click-click-click O, "M,V click-click-click O", "M,V click-click-click O", "M,V click-click-click O", "M,V click-click-click O" if you just want to touch 25 different places in a design.
I understand your point. But I do not see this is a frequent use case. Drawing 25 circles one after the other I can imagine. But moving 25 objects one after the other just seems less likely.

catman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:37 pmThe proposal would just make this possible.
It is not just about proposals: someone has to sit down and do the actual programming.

catman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:37 pmMany tools (e.g. power point) have snap and they work permanent.
It is unlikely that you will ever see this in the Draft Workbench. You can however link Draft objects through expressions. For the rest: use the Sketcher Workbench.

catman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:37 pm So the result is the same? Does that mean you think its a bad idea to move the font setting to the same place?
As already explained, Draft_Text and Draft_ShapeString have different purposes, their results are NOT the same. I suppose that for a Draft_ShapeString the font is perceived to be similar to the Length of a rectangle: it determines the Shape of the object. A Draft_Text does not have a Shape.
Last edited by Roy_043 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

catman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:32 pmThe problem is a missing z-Offset. The most natural way to define the workplane (select a face and click the workplane button) does not allow to set an offset.
If you use post-selection you can specify an offset. See: Draft_SelectPlane#Usage_with_post-selection.
catman

Post by catman »

Roy_043 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:27 pm I understand your point. But I do not see this is a frequent use case. Drawing 25 circles one after the other I can imagine. But moving 25 objects one after the other just seems less likely.
It is not just about proposals: someone has to sit down and do the actual programming.
I think this is about discussion whether or not a feature is useful. Then a dev could judge if its doable and worth the effort. I do not know Draft WB, so I hope someone who knows the implementation could tell that. If nobody is convinced that its useful it will never be implemented. I think the feature is more interesting for people not already using Draft WB intensively. ;)
Roy_043 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:27 pm
catman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:37 pmMany tools (e.g. power point) have snap and they work permanent.
It is unlikely that you will ever see this in the Draft Workbench. You can however link Draft objects through expressions. For the rest: use the Sketcher Workbench.
I see that (I did not ask to include it, actually. But would be nice though :D )
Roy_043 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:27 pm As already explained, Draft_Text and Draft_ShapeString have different purposes, their results are NOT the same. I suppose that for a Draft_ShapeString the font is perceived to be similar to the Length of a rectangle: it determines the Shape of the object. A Draft_Text does not have a Shape.
Fine. So we disagree on that one. Maybe we get some more opinions
catman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:37 pm If you use post-selection you can specify an offset. See: Draft_SelectPlane#Usage_with_post-selection.
I feel it has not been working for me like that. The only way I get the dialog open is the menu and that only sometimes. But I guess its just me as I did not understand the concept yet. However, for me the container solution proved easy, simple and reliable so far, so I will stick with it until I find a drawback.

I appreciate your feedback.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

As a workaround for the linewidth issue: Create an Arch_Wall with a width of f.e. 0.5mm (the desired linewidth) and a height of 0.1mm.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

catman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:13 pm The only way I get the dialog open is the menu and that only sometimes.
If you do not get the task panel there a pre-selection.
catman

Post by catman »

Roy_043 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:26 am As a workaround for the linewidth issue: Create an Arch_Wall with a width of f.e. 0.5mm (the desired linewidth) and a height of 0.1mm.
Thats a very interesting hint. I found the source for wall objects and it says

Code: Select all

lass _Wall(ArchComponent.Component):
    """The Wall object.
    Turns a <App::FeaturePython> into a wall object, then uses a
    <Part::Feature> to create the wall's shape.
    Walls are simple objects, usually vertical, typically obtained by giving a
    thickness to a base line, then extruding it vertically.
So there is already code for giving lines thickness. I do not really understand how it works but it looks like its building blocks from the subelements. So it would be not so easy to leave out the extrusion without an rewrite. But a bit down I found

Code: Select all

def getFootprint(self,obj):
        """Get the faces that make up the base/foot of the wall.
So indeed, using python it should be possible to use the arch commands to convert linework to actual lines with thickness ("faces" or polygons), by FreeCAD. Since the original lines are left and made invisible exporting SVG in the two modes "Translated for Printing" and "RAW for CNC" would use the faces or the original lines respectively.