Bug or feature? Folder may not be hidden by spacebar

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Peter_D

Bug or feature? Folder may not be hidden by spacebar

Post by Peter_D »

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git) Snap 161
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.3, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 7.1.1, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Installed mods: 
  * BIM 2021.12.0
Hello,

when the buildingPart "top_floor" is shown, the "topplate_slab" can be shown and hidden with the spacebar (example below). The folder "walls_top_floor", on the other hand, cannot be shown again with the space bar after it has been hidden.
This causes confusion and should be fixed, if there are no important reasons against it.

Best regards
Peter
Attachments
directory_space.FCStd
(175.81 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Bug or feature? Folder may not be hidden by spacebar

Post by chrisb »

Confirmed. If you don't get more answers soon, please create a ticket in the tracker.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

Peter_D wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:58 am
Hello,

when the buildingPart "top_floor" is shown, the "topplate_slab" can be shown and hidden with the spacebar (example below). The folder "walls_top_floor", on the other hand, cannot be shown again with the space bar after it has been hidden.
This causes confusion and should be fixed, if there are no important reasons against it.

Best regards
Peter
I confirm the problem.

Version: 0.21.
Branch: unknown
Hash: e2e58f7bffc6012e757181af57272383677d3d91
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.12.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 7.1.1, OCC 7.5.2
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)
Installed mods: 
  * BIM 2021.12.0
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

There seems be more unusual with the group visibility. Normally, when the Group the Visibility is set to false, the visibility from the objects under it are still the same as before (but rendered as the group above). This is not the case more.

When you take PartDesign body (visibility is true) and move it into a group and set the visibility of the group to false, then the visibility of the body changes also to false, which is incorrect.

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:34 pm There seems be more unusual with the group visibility. Normally, when the Group the Visibility is set to false, the visibility from the objects under it are still the same as before (but rendered as the group above). This is not the case more.
The behaviour you describe is correct for the Part container, but group behaviour has always been different by toggling the visibility of its contents.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Peter_D

Post by Peter_D »

Thank you for the confirmations!
chrisb wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:12 pm ... please create a ticket in the tracker.
I have no experience with bug reporting nor do I want to sign up for github. Would someone who has experience in the field be kind enough to create the ticket?
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:12 am
user1234 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:34 pm There seems be more unusual with the group visibility. Normally, when the Group the Visibility is set to false, the visibility from the objects under it are still the same as before (but rendered as the group above). This is not the case more.
The behaviour you describe is correct for the Part container, but group behaviour has always been different by toggling the visibility of its contents.
It is new to me, but i admit, that i have to use groups extreme rare. But this behavior makes no sense to me, also with the background, that a group have its own property Visibility.

For example, if have to group a bunch of elements (for example base elements for reference for reverse engineering or calculated base elements for further use/reference), it would be extreme annoying, when i hide/unhide the group and all elements appear/disappear, even when i have hidden a few elements before.

Greetings
user1234
zito

Post by zito »

Hi All,
Confirmed.
I have a problem with Visibility too. But with the Building container. The CutVolume and the CutVolume001 Visibility property can not be set to False. Only it is possible to toggle Visibility with visual change, but the property is not changed to False, so saving and loading leads to showing CutVolumes again.
I found a hack. Placing the CutVolumes under folder under Building solves the problem with Visibility. Unfortunately moving building don't moves CutVolumes (placed under folder). BTW: the door (placed under wall) doesn't move too...
Visibility also behaves as I expect when the content of is moved outside of the Building containter.
Is this bug or feature?
umisteni.FCStd
(133.66 KiB) Downloaded 42 times

Version: 0.20.14555 (Git shallow)
Branch: master
Hash: 750147efcd2621573237283a0ec7162c3a9290d8
Python 3.10.5, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.5.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Peter_D

Post by Peter_D »

Since I opened a github account today, I reported the issue.

Kind regards
Peter
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I can confirm the problem too, but no idea what is happening... There is a lot more to it, for ex. switching the "Visibility" property of any object between True and False has no effect anymore. Note that if you remove the group and the wall from the BuildingPart, then everything works normally again.

I suspect this has to do with the Group Extension, that is used by the BuildingPart object, that has bugs since the App::Link merge that have never been really fixed. Somehow it mimmicks the shapes of the objects inside it, so things appear shown or hidden when they in fact aren't

In the NativeIFC addon I used a dirty workaround trick that works for now, which is to set a dumb, minuscule 1mmx1mmx1mm shape to the container, but we should solve this for good. Only I can't find how :/