[Arch] starting point for modeling the first floorplan

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hko

Re: [Arch] starting point for modeling the first floorplan

Post by hko »

luwol03 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:13 pm I now played a bit more with the Arch/BIM WB, but I have a few questions:

1. Should I use the BIM or Arch WB?
2. How can I place doors/windows very precisly at a specific relative position to room edges and also directly on the wall instead of before the wall?
3. How do I structure walls buildings, garden, inventory, ... in the tree on the left?
1. I'd personally start with Arch WB and switch to BIM only if it has a feature that I need. Arch WB is a part of FreeCAD, BIM is a separate add-on and some of its features are experimental and don't work. I'd also guess that you don't really need many of its features.

2. I don't understand what you mean by "directly on the wall instead of before the wall". Anyway, from your later message we already know that you desire a "parametric approach" for positioning. Nothing wrong with that, but especially since you are modeling an existing building, it might be worthwhile to consider what you want to gain from the parametric approach and even what parametric means to you in this case. Do you want to just "input" the position of object A (window/door) relative to (a part of, such an edge of) another object B (wall), because that's how you measured object A's current position? Do you also want to make the relation permanent (use a property of B (or a part of it) as a parameter for the position of A) and why?

Let's say the wall the position of the window is relative to (in a parametric sense) is an internal non load-bearing wall (perpendicular to the external wall where the window is). Later you renovate the house and you move the internal wall to make one room larger. You update the model and move the wall in the model as well. The window moves automatically alongside the external wall when you move the internal wall in the model, but are you going to move the window in the real world too? Probably not? And even if you are, is the new position the same distance from the internal wall as before or is it perhaps in the center of the room? If the original distance is no longer meaningful, the chosen parametric approach wasn't really useful in this case. You can of course dismantle the connection and then move the window freely or specify a new distance from the moved wall.

Note that you can measure distances in the model by using part WB tools and by adding dimension objects so you don't need to create a dependency between the window and the wall just to "record" the distance.

I'm not saying "don't do it" but think about it.

All that said, a basic method to make a position of object A to depend on the position of object B is to use expression(s) (see https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Expressions) in the Placement property of A. You should name your objects meaningfully (set Label property) and use those names in expressions. It's generally not a good idea to refer to geometry (faces, edges, vertices) of complex objects, because names of faces etc. can change and also otherwise makes changes harder. When I talked about creating a 2D "skeleton" and then building walls from that, you could refer to that skeleton (or parts of it) and not actual walls.

In case of windows and doors of an existing building, I wouldn't create such dependencies.

To simply place the window using your relative measurement, you can perhaps use temporary "helper geometry" as Thomas did in his first video to position the first of the four small windows. An alternative would be to position the working plane to the corner of the wall (see "Working plane setup" -> "Move working plane") and then input local coordinates. There are probably other ways.

When you get to adding furniture and things like that to the model, you could consider adding an Std Part (effectively a local coordinate system) for each room and put your furniture etc. inside of that.

3. I'm not that far yet but if I end up modeling other buildings (garage, shed) next to the house and/or garden, I'd have each building in its own file and then have a "site" file with links (see https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Std_LinkMake) to buildings.

As for walls and other stuff within one building, there are special group objects for some things (Arch Floor for example) but you can use "ordinary" groups (Std Group) as well to organize things in ways that are useful to you.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

ragohix769 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:00 pm ...
I don't understand why you prefer to use an array of points essentially to have some snapping, when you have snapping tools available. This is not the first time that you use this technik, I was always curious about it. It's a choice with some practical advantage or it's only your personal taste?
i try to use and teach methods that can be used in different situations. this method can be used for 2d and for 3d snap grids
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
luwol03

Post by luwol03 »

Thank you for all that comments and suggestions it will take some time to try that all out and watch the videos.

@thomas-neemann I really like your videos, but what about adding some spoken explanations to it or at least some silent music?

I played a bit more with it and experienced some other strange behaviors which I would like to explain with this picture:

What I did:
- I made a polyline starting from (0,0,0) then I pressed x;3000;Enter;y;1000;x;2000;y;1000;x;-5000;y;2000
- select polyline, create wall

Problems:
1. I have a hole at (0;0;0) in the wall
2. After placing the door, there is a hole in the back wall
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

luwol03 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:47 am Problems:
- Try, instead of inputting the last vertex, click 'Close' to close the polyline
- Then, find Make Face attribute to make sure it is False, before Clicking the Wall tool to build the Wall
- The Wall should be built w/o problem

See recent similar post

Good luck :)
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

luwol03 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:47 am ...
Problems:...
which freecad version and which operating system do you use?

luwol03

Post by luwol03 »

thomas-neemann wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:05 pm
luwol03 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:47 am ...
Problems:...
which freecad version and which operating system do you use?

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.20)
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.9.13, Qt 5.12.9, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.5.3
Locale: C/Default (C)
Installed mods: 
  * BIM 2021.12.0
  * kicadStepUpMod 10.13.0
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

luwol03 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:36 pm ...
it works for me. I suspect it can be fixed by renaming your configuration files

ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

luwol03 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:47 am Thank you for all that comments and suggestions it will take some time to try that all out and watch the videos.

@thomas-neemann I really like your videos, but what about adding some spoken explanations to it or at least some silent music?

I played a bit more with it and experienced some other strange behaviors which I would like to explain with this picture:

What I did:
- I made a polyline starting from (0,0,0) then I pressed x;3000;Enter;y;1000;x;2000;y;1000;x;-5000;y;2000
- select polyline, create wall

Problems:
As said Paul, have you "closed" your polyline? (see the attached image)
It's mandatory to close the polyline, otherwise wall and all the windows/doors will have problems finding the wall host and you'll see the well known problem of the hole in the front wall-face.
Attachments
wepz.jpg
wepz.jpg (152.34 KiB) Viewed 967 times
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
luwol03

Post by luwol03 »

Yes, that was the problem, but I thought if they should be on the same position it would work, but no, you're right. Also if I adjust the window depth to 500mm instead of 0 the hole is gone.
jsolersallent

Post by jsolersallent »

Hello Paullee,

I have downloaded the latest version of freecad 0.20. I see that sketcharch doesn't have an automatic download from the addon manager yet. When I go to github and read the installation instructions I see:

IV. Install
'Semi'- Automatic (recommended)

Launch FreeCAD and start the Addons Manager (Tools > Addon manager)
Press the Configure... button.
The Addon manager options dialog box opens.
Add the repository to the Custom repositories list - https://github.com/paullee0/FreeCAD_SketchArch
Optionally choose proxy settings.
Press the OK button button to close the dialog box.
Restart FreeCAD
Locate the workbench dropdown list and switch to the 'SketchArch workbench'

I don't see the Configure button and i don't really know how to install the workbench in FreeCAD 0.2
Could you give me some help?
Thanks in advance,
Josep Soler