[Solved] TechDraw edges above section/cut line

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pbergaus

[Solved] TechDraw edges above section/cut line

Post by pbergaus »

Hello,

I have a building with wall openings. When creating the section cut I should see the "hidden line" bof the door lintel but there are no lines.
When creating a wall opening with a door element, two lines can be seen but these are the lines from the wall that are not beeing removed by the cut.
When creating a wall opening with a cube the opening is cut properly with no lines on the floor in this area.

Can this be achieved automatically without adding these lines manually?
I am from Graz,Austria, so when searching for "hidden lines" a misunderstanding is happening very often. From my understanding these "hidden lines" are different from my "hidden lines". In all the tutorials/images these lines of the door lintel are not drawn at all.

How it should be from technical point of view: https://www.bauberufe.eu/images/doks/Pl ... A_6240.pdf
Test_example.FCStd
(121.15 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
test.PDF
(222.9 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Freecad info:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.14555 (Git shallow)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.19.4)
Hash: 476ecf091941bead59b14e44afa6064d5a66afa3
Python version: 3.9.9
Qt version: 5.15.3
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: German/Austria (de_AT)

Thanks
Last edited by pbergaus on Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: TechDraw edges above section/cut line

Post by chrisb »

Moved from Help forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

pbergaus wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:18 am I have a building with wall openings. When creating the section cut I should see the "hidden line" bof the door lintel but there are no lines.
The cutting plane is below the header of the doorway and the view is looking down. Nothing above the cutting plane will appear.

Maybe Arch Section Plane does what you want.
pbergaus

Post by pbergaus »

Okay thanks for the answer, but I am still not fully satisfied with it to be honest.

The description in the Wiki is quite misleading and I think that it should be the other way round:
Currently:
All On: If hidden objects must be shown or not. If False, only objects that are visible in the 3D view are rendered
Show Hidden: If the hidden geometry (the part of the geometry that lies behind the section plane) is shown or not. It will be rendered in dashed line, which can be configured in the Arch preferences.

If I change "All On" to true, I get what I want, but "Show hidden" changes nothing in the view in my case because I have no triangulated areas which have edges that are hidden so it should be:

Show Hidden: If hidden objects must be shown or not. If False, only objects that are visible in the 3D view are rendered
All On: If the hidden geometry (the part of the geometry that lies behind the section plane) is shown or not. It will be rendered in dashed line, which can be configured in the Arch preferences.

For me that topic is solved. It can be achieved with the "Arch SectionPlane".

Thank you for your help.

Philipp
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

pbergaus wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:54 am If I change "All On" to true, I get what I want, but "Show hidden" changes nothing in the view in my case
AFAICT there is an update issue that is causing confusion. "Show Hidden" is the property that should be changed for this purpose. But the ArchView is not always updated properly. Reopening the file and recomputing the ArchView can be required.

Example:
  1. Open the attached file.
  2. Note that "Show Hidden" is "true" for the ArchView.
  3. Recompute the ArchView.
  4. OK: The hidden lines now display.
  5. Delete the ArchView.
  6. Select the Section and call TechDraw ArchView to create a new ArchView.
  7. Note that "Show Hidden" is "false" for the new ArchView, and yet hidden lines are shown.
  8. Recompute the ArchView.
  9. Result: This has no effect.
  10. Save and reopen the file.
  11. Recompute the ArchView.
  12. OK: The hidden lines are no longer displayed.
  13. Again delete the ArchView and create a new one.
  14. Note that the new view does not show hidden lines now. Compare step 7.
Attachments
archview-test.FCStd
(26.8 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
pbergaus

Re: [Solved] TechDraw edges above section/cut line

Post by pbergaus »

Thank you for that clarification. I was able to reproduce that and that is solved for me now. :)