Multi-story buildings

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
neilbarnwell

Multi-story buildings

Post by neilbarnwell »

I've done some reading but haven't really got to the essence of "best practice" when it comes to multi-story buildings.

Example 1: A multi-story English detached home.
A flat concrete pad edged with brick footings matching the plan of the house. Those walls are built up and up and up ultimately to the height of the roof (taking into account pitched roofs with gable ends etc as necessary). For each "floor", wooden joists are installed across the narrowest direction and covered with floorboards for walking on.

Do I model the walls to their full height, or do them one "storey" at a time - i.e. roughly 8 feet sections, that happen to match in terms of the plan view?

Example 2: A multi-story home where some parts of offset vertically from others by less than one storey height.
As example 1, but perhaps the plot of land is on a slight slope, and so the ceiling of one room might actually be in-between the floor and ceiling of an adjacent room. In this case the storeys are not a single flat plane, which suggests modelling one floor at a time would be challenging.

Example 3: A bonkers bespoke home with steps all over the place rather than a central staircase and no "storeys" at all.
I... I just don't know where to begin.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: Multi-story buildings

Post by thomas-neemann »

neilbarnwell wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:44 pm ..Example 1: A multi-story...
is that helpful?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G3oxy-uSZg

phpBB [video]
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
neilbarnwell

Post by neilbarnwell »

For a wooden-frame building, it's somewhat helpful. My house is brick-built, though. So the walls are from ground-to-roof. My question is whether the idiomatic way to model such a house in FreeCAD is to split the building into horizontal levels/floors/storeys and model them separately, or whether one "builds" the walls first, then goes back and adds things in afterwards.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

neilbarnwell wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:08 pm ... My question is ....
in my opinion there is no right or wrong, just fast, efficient, easy or the opposite. I would work it off depending on the specifications. if e.g. the external dimensions are given, i would work my way inward from the entire outer shell. if it e.g. are specifications per floor (room heights, areas, etc.), I would work my way from the inside (per floor) to the outside
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad