(SOLVED) another window/door placement issue - tail

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freenico

(SOLVED) another window/door placement issue - tail

Post by freenico »

Hi folks,

Searching through the forum for a similar issue I found a few threads referencing to window placement errors/bugs but I couldn't find anything like the ambiguous behavior I am having with the arch workbench during a mock project.

When placing a door or window on a wall it seems that it has a tail (maybe from the sketch, although i checked the sketch and it t seems fine) as it creates an opening on a nearby wall. If the wall opposite is distant enough, the opening is not visible but if the opposite wall is close (1200mm or less) is creates an opening. I have a attached the mock project of a n apartment with an edited picture pointing the door and its "tail".
door_placement_issue.png
door_placement_issue.png (195.03 KiB) Viewed 811 times

(i also attached the project, below)

I am using FreeCAD 020 (weekly-builds-26375-Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64). This same version worked like a charm a few months ago when i designed another villa and I had no problems at all.

What I have done so far:
1) tried to place the door from both the inside and outside of the room
2) tried all working planes (auto, top, front, side, etc..)
3) changing the door coordinate under 'placement' shifts the whole (door and its tail on the other wall too)
4) tried the BIM workbench instead of ARCH, no difference

I don't know what else to try. I remember that I had the exactly same issue more than 5yrs ago when i started learning about FreeCAD but i dont remember how i fixed it (or if it was fixed by the FreeCAD team as it was at its very rudimentary version).

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Attachments
arch_test.FCStd
(847.44 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Last edited by freenico on Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: another window/door placement issue - tail

Post by Roy_043 »

The "Hole Depth" property of the door is zero (the default value). This means that the dimensions of the subtraction volume used to create the hole are derived from the outline of the door. Changing the value to f.e. 500mm solves the problem.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

There was discussion to improve the algorithm but not yet implemented in this thread
- Door cutting depth :)
freenico

Post by freenico »

Roy_043 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:16 pm The "Hole Depth" property of the door is zero (the default value). This means that the dimensions of the subtraction volume used to create the hole are derived from the outline of the door. Changing the value to f.e. 500mm solves the problem.
Thank you Sir, it worked!

p.s.: do i need to edit the thread title to mark a post as 'Solved'? or is there another way?