Object transforms challenges and suggestions

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dimitar

Re: Object transforms challenges and suggestions

Post by dimitar »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:11 pm
dimitar wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:21 pm I've noticed that after a transform command, the object being snapped on gets selected.
I don't understand this. You cannot use snaps with Std_TransformManip. If you use Esc to cancel the transform operation the object stays selected.
I was referring to draft_move, bim_copy, and draft_rotate. When using one of those commands, when transforming objects, and with either snaps on or off, if I go near an object such that part of it get highlighted, when the command is complete, that object get selected instead of keeping the selection of the object(s) being transformed.

Thanks for showing the customisation for the transform gizmo. That knocks out one of the items in the initial list. All the other bullet points still hold true and would be great if there is a way to adjust their behaviours.
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:19 pm User experience improvements are of course welcome, but I think the visual of this tool is ok.
As an architect and designer that deals with making spaces beautiful and functional, I like to have the tools I spend my days on looking as aesthetically pleasing as well, and this gizmo looks hideous. Yet, I am willing to live with it if the more functional aspects get addressed as a start.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:57 am In the Std_DlgCustomize dialog the transform tool can be found in the Edit category.

Thanks, I haven't used that customisation yet.

Is there a file setting-out all the shortcut / hotkeys, so one can have an overview of all hotkeys, and change there ?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

dimitar wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:53 pm As an architect and designer that deals with making spaces beautiful and functional, I like to have the tools I spend my days on looking as aesthetically pleasing as well, and this gizmo looks hideous. Yet, I am willing to live with it if the more functional aspects get addressed as a start.
Indeed, that doesn't look too great :D Have a gap to propose a design for improvement ?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

paullee wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:07 pm Is there a file setting-out all the shortcut / hotkeys, so one can have an overview of all hotkeys, and change there ?
There is this page on the Wiki:
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Sandbox:Keyboard_Shortcuts
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

dimitar wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:53 pm As an architect and designer that deals with making spaces beautiful and functional, I like to have the tools I spend my days on looking as aesthetically pleasing as well, and this gizmo looks hideous.
Fair enough. And I also see the argument, of having the feeling it is necessary to defend FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

I would like to reiterate the importance of the first four bullet points below in an the effort to make Freecad more user-friendly and faster.
dimitar wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:21 pm Moving, rotating, and duplicating objects is a core essential part of the architectural workflow. I am quite a proficient blender, rhino, and revit user, and I find that in the other programs, adjusting objects is significantly quicker than in Freecad. The current experience in Freecad can be improved in the following ways:
  • When using draft_move, bim_copy, or draft_rotate, keep the object(s) being transformed selected. In many instances, I first need to move an object(s), then rotate, then move again. Currently, after each operation, the object(s) need to be reselected again. This takes a lot more time than it should.
  • Sometimes, when transforming, different objects get highlighted. I've noticed that after a transform command, the object being snapped on gets selected. That shouldn't be the case, as that object is irrelevant for transforming the current object(s). Again, the current object(s) being transformed should be the only one(s) remaining selected
  • The transform gizmo (right-click on object in the tree view, and selecting transform) should work for all kinds of objects. Currently, it works for some, and for some it doesn't
  • The transform gizmo should work for multiple objects being selected at the same time instead of just one
  • The transform gizmo should have a better way to be activated than right-clicking on an object only in the tree view. I was looking through the customisation to be able to find a way to attach a hotkey as it doesn't appear in any of the menus listed in the tools -> customise -> keyboard categories and commands Update: see this post below. It can be set via a shortcut.
  • I know Freecad is a cad program first, hence transforms with a base point definitely make sense, but sometimes, when less precision is required, it would be great to have transforms without a base point, like G,R,S hotkeys in Blender. That saves a lot of time and clicks.
Less relevant, but still important is that the transform gizmo needs a visual refresh. Less 3d and more straightforward, clean/simple looking. Compare the Blender vs the Freecad transform gizmo.

Photo_Ks1VWsn3LI.png