Why are windows sometimes placed upside down and back to front

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wearyhacker

Why are windows sometimes placed upside down and back to front

Post by wearyhacker »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.7.5
Qt version: 5.12.4
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

Build date 28/11/2019

In the attached sketch the wall segment based on segment 3 of the base wires has its inner and outer faces reversed with respect to other segments. How does this happen? How can I fix it? Has anyone else come across this.

It makes it very difficult to place door objects etc. in it.

Roger
Attachments
walltest.FCStd
(187.44 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Last edited by wearyhacker on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Why do arch wall segements sometimes have inside and outside reversed.

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Arch forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

wearyhacker wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:32 pm
In the attached sketch the wall segment based on segment 3 of the base wires has its inner and outer faces reversed with respect to other segments. How does this happen? How can I fix it? Has anyone else come across this.

It makes it very difficult to place door objects etc. in it.

Roger
Not sure of your problem, I am working on FreeCAD_0.19-18694-Linux-Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage, seem nothing 'wrong'.

Edge 3 of Wire
Screenshot from 2019-12-01 08-19-47.png
Screenshot from 2019-12-01 08-19-47.png (134.58 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Wall Align consistent
Screenshot from 2019-12-01 08-20-01.png
Screenshot from 2019-12-01 08-20-01.png (138.34 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

wearyhacker wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:32 pm ...
In the attached sketch the wall segment based on segment 3 of the base wires has its inner and outer faces reversed with respect to other segments. How does this happen? How can I fix it? Has anyone else come across this....
It sounds as if you are drawing the lines in opposite directions. The line is different if you draw it left to right, than right to left.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

vocx wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:02 am It sounds as if you are drawing the lines in opposite directions. The line is different if you draw it left to right, than right to left.
This is one thing I thought but look at his wall, he has a DWire, should have all segment in same direction
wearyhacker wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:32 pm ...
In the attached sketch the wall segment based on segment 3 of the base wires has its inner and outer faces reversed with respect to other segments. How does this happen? How can I fix it? Has anyone else come across this....
@wearyhacker, did you do a Sketch as the base for the wall outline, then now convert it into a Wire by (bidirectional) Draft to Sketch function in the model posted here?
wearyhacker

Re: Why are windows sometimes placed upside down and back to front

Post by wearyhacker »

I based the wall on a simple dwire. The only things I have done to the wire since have been done by the standard dwire editor. Before I dive to deep into the python console, are there any tools, scripts, out there that can examine the detailed make up of a dwire?

Thanks,

Roger

Sorry about the typo in the title!
Last edited by wearyhacker on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

wearyhacker wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:31 am ... the attached sketch the wall segment based on segment 3 of the base wires has its inner and outer faces reversed with respect to other segments.
First thing first, please clarify what do you mean above ? segment 3 ....reversed with resoect to other segment ?
wearyhacker

Post by wearyhacker »

Hi Paul,

Sorry about the lack of clarity. I have attached a couple of screenshots to illustrate.
Expected placement
Expected placement
Screenshot from 2019-12-01 12-30-55.png (196.18 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
The screen capture appears to have lost the placement cursor. This shows at the bottom left of the window placement rectangle, as expected
Unexpected placement
Unexpected placement
Screenshot from 2019-12-01 12-31-14.png (196.18 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
In this capture the placement cursor is at the top right.

That is the fundamental problem. It is not bad when placing windows, it just makes doing it accurately harder. For doors it just does not work they always end up upside down. My normal procedure for placing windows is to select the face I am working on and then create a custom working plane. I then create a proxy of the custom plane and move that to the origin I want to work from, normally the lower left corner of the face. However with this face the proxy ends up with the z axis pointing out of the screen, x pointing left and y pointing down. See below.
Working plane proxy
Working plane proxy
Screenshot from 2019-12-01 13-57-31.png (222.68 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
One thing I notice is that my dwire is no longer a straightforward dwire, it has been upgraded to a FeaturePython object. I assume this is something to do with version 0.19.

Roger
Last edited by wearyhacker on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wearyhacker

Post by wearyhacker »

Just noticed that the process I used to cut out the test example has somehow resulted in the wire being converted into a featurePython object. In the original file it was a Part::PartFeature. I have attached a new version which preserves the original object type.

roger
Attachments
walltest1.FCStd
New test file
(192.74 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by wearyhacker on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wearyhacker

Post by wearyhacker »

I am losing the will to live on this one. Can someone point me a python snippet that shows me how to get at the data from the original dwire. i.e. the ordered points list and any other info it may contain?

Thanks Roger
Last edited by wearyhacker on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.