Run Freecad headless and save as svg, png

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
schraenko

Run Freecad headless and save as svg, png

Post by schraenko »

Hello,

I would like to generate Parts dynamically on an Ubuntu server per script, therefore I can not use the GUI.
Is it somehow possible to export these Parts to svg, png without using the gui components?
Thanks in advance.

Yours
Marco
yorik
Founder

Re: Run Freecad headless and save as svg, png

Post by yorik »

I think you could use the Drawing module to produce a svg projection of a shape... Check the Drawing Module documentation, there should be what you need there...
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

I am doing this exact thing here:

https://github.com/danielfalck/freecadw ... les/upload

You upload a FreeCAD file and -usually- (I need to work out an error with some files) it will give you back a page on the web browser with an SVG loaded.
schraenko

Post by schraenko »

I've tried the server solution but got the following error:

/usr/bin/python /home/marco/python/mechpy/output/freecad/server.py
FreeCAD 0.13, Libs: 0.13R1830 (Git)
ERROR:root:Uncaught exception POST /upload (127.0.0.1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/tornado-1.2.1-py2.7.egg/tornado/web.py", line 861, in _execute
getattr(self, self.request.method.lower())(*args, **kwargs)
File "/home/marco/python/mechpy/output/freecad/server.py", line 43, in post
self.finish(drawit.makedrawing(fh))
File "/home/marco/python/mechpy/output/freecad/drawit.py", line 133, in makedrawing
doc.addObject("Part::Compound","Compound")
Exception: No document object found of type 'Part::Compound'
ERROR:root:500 POST /upload (127.0.0.1) 1.18ms

I am not familiar with Tornado. Sorry, if this is a stupid question.

Anyway your hints and the code got me some steps further. Thanks a lot.
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

Sorry, my implementation is rather fragile. Would you mind posting a FreeCAD file that is causing that error? I could learn something from it. Sliptonic sent me one that causes a crash too.

Thanks.
schraenko

Post by schraenko »

The FreeCAD file I used with the github project is attached.

My goal is to automatically generate a 3d model using python and derive views including dimensioning
as graphic files that I can use for pdf-report generation. All this should work on a hosted Ubuntu server
which has naturally no x-server runnig. Therefore I can not use gui related stuff.

As yorik proposed I played arround with the drawing module as well as the draft module. So far I tried to
get the svg string with Drawing.projectToSVG(...) and put it in an existing svg-file which is kind of a hack.
I tried further to use Part.export(...) but that gave me an unhandled FreeCAD exception.

Maybe you can give me a hint what's the right direction or how to achieve that. Your help is really appreciated.
Attachments
daechle.fcstd
(7.68 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Is it possible to use Coin3d and pivy on the server? If yes, you can have a look at this: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_sf_m ... omation.py
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

Ok, try my branch again https://github.com/danielfalck/freecadw ... les/upload. I finally implemented a simple change that The-Fonz suggested here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6253#p50593 related to guitree.getiterator() .
I uploaded your file to my server and it works here. I have run into errors that kill things when the FreeCAD file has objects/geometry in it that I haven't accounted for. In a few weeks, I am hoping to get some time to set up some error catching for that. Sliptonic gave me a file that kills my server that has some non- 3D objects in it.
I think that I am working towards some of the same goals as you. I will try and keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks.