[Solved] Macro "Jump to FC Wiki"

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [Solved] Macro "Jump to FC Wiki"

Post by Kunda1 »

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:59 am I could imagine that the macro would also be suitable for the Macros recipes page. Do certain requirements have to be met or adhered to? If the macro is found to be worthy, what steps do I have to take.
Those requirements are conveniently listed in a few places:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
LHC

Post by LHC »

Just came across this thread - this looks like a great addition, and the minimal number of clicks is fantastic. I have been struggling with FreeCad for almost a year off and on, and while I am making progress, I often circle back and start digging through the wiki as it's constantly being updated and sometimes I learn something new as a result. I can see myself using this feature a LOT.

I'll keep an eye out in the addon manager for this, as I am sure it will be a popular macro for the noobs to help them learn.

Excellent work - thanks very much.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

LHC wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:17 pm I'll keep an eye out in the addon manager for this, as I am sure it will be a popular macro for the noobs to help them learn.

It's great to see you persevere and make your way through the FreeCAD learning curve. Well done!
Please consider helping us make this more user friendly when you are experimenting with it. Leveraging the wiki is huge and we just don't do it enough. There is also huge gaps in the wiki, if you encounter any, please consider helping us fill them ;)
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
LHC

Post by LHC »

Sounds great. I’m happy to help when it makes sense. The wiki is probably a logical first step as I’m not a coder and barely a user. If nothing else I can discover something is not clear or missing from wiki pages where a more experienced user would “know it already”.
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

LHC wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:17 pm Just came across this thread - this looks like a great addition, and the minimal number of clicks is fantastic. I have been struggling with FreeCad for almost a year off and on, and while I am making progress, I often circle back and start digging through the wiki as it's constantly being updated and sometimes I learn something new as a result. I can see myself using this feature a LOT.

I'll keep an eye out in the addon manager for this, as I am sure it will be a popular macro for the noobs to help them learn.

I'm glad to hear that the macro appeals to you. It will take some time until the macro is available via the Addon Manager. I have to get to grips with GitHub first, as this is my first time doing this. Also, the macro has to go through an approval process.

If you are familiar with manual installation, feel free to try. I have attached the zip file. Here is the corresponding Wiki page for installation.
Attachments
Jump to FC Wiki 0.07 2clicks.7z
(6.1 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
… for a happy FreeCAD-World … JM2C …
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:26 pm I'm glad to hear that the macro appeals to you. It will take some time until the macro is available via the Addon Manager. I have to get to grips with GitHub first, as this is my first time doing this. Also, the macro has to go through an approval process.
@bavariaSHAPE feel free to ask me any questions regarding git. I'm no expert but I can get by. I personally find using a GUI based git tool preferable. Although I do agree with the public majority sentiment that learning the command line commands of git is more educational.
LHC

Post by LHC »

bavariaSHAPE wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:26 pm
LHC wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:17 pm Just came across this thread - this looks like a great addition, and the minimal number of clicks is fantastic. I have been struggling with FreeCad for almost a year off and on, and while I am making progress, I often circle back and start digging through the wiki as it's constantly being updated and sometimes I learn something new as a result. I can see myself using this feature a LOT.

I'm glad to hear that the macro appeals to you. It will take some time until the macro is available via the Addon Manager. I have to get to grips with GitHub first, as this is my first time doing this. Also, the macro has to go through an approval process.

If you are familiar with manual installation, feel free to try. I have attached the zip file. Here is the corresponding Wiki page for installation.
I'll give it a try. I have manually installed a couple of macros in the last year and in one case actually managed to successfully connect it with an icon in a custom toolbar but it was a while back. Probably come back to me quick enough. I'll report back with success/failure when I try.
Thanks
Lewis
LHC

Post by LHC »

It works ! I downloaded and put the .svg icon and the macro into the proper folder on my windows machine, then went to the customize and setup the macro with icon, and then put it in a workbench to test.

Here's a noob question - Is there a way to have the icon on the screen regardless of the workbench you are currently in? ie a global custom toolbar ? I can't seem to see one if there is. Mind you I am somewhat flailing around ;)

Thanks

EDIT - ok I think I found it - called "Global"..... :lol:
I added the icon to a custom toolbar on global, then noticed it did not appear on the screen. By exiting and restarting FreeCad it did appear. Just for my knowledge - is there a way to reload the global toolbar without exiting and restarting FreeCad ?

EDIT2 - After trying out this macro for a while I really can't find anything to complain about. It's simple, quick, and should direct more noobs to the wiki as long as they know to click the green "I" icon. One small thing that might be considered - when some documentation is done for this macro done - include how to get rid of the wiki page from the screen. My first reaction was "where is the damned "x" in the upper right corner of the screen so I can get rid of the wiki page?. Of course I quickly realized that the page was filling the 3d view, could not be resized etc, and so my eyes went to the bottom of the screen where I could "x" the tab for the wiki page. Perhaps it is an obvious thing, but you can never be too careful with noobs :lol: As I said before - thanks very much for the great macro.
bavariaSHAPE

Post by bavariaSHAPE »

LHC wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:17 pm It works !

EDIT … By exiting and restarting FreeCad it did appear. Just for my knowledge - is there a way to reload the global toolbar without exiting and restarting FreeCad?

EDIT2
Thank you for your extensive feedback. Your relentless exploration of FreeCAD and your combination skills finally got you there.
I also have placed the macro in the custom toolbar on global area. It makes sense to access the macro at any time.

I hope that I have understood you correctly. The custom toolbar can be shown and hidden as follows (my toolbar is called Web search).
Right-click on an empty area in the toolbar. In the context menu you will see displayed and not displayed elements.

shown and hidden toolbar.gif
shown and hidden toolbar.gif (207.5 KiB) Viewed 1272 times

Your feedback has shown me that nothing is obvious. Even supposedly small things need to be mentioned. This includes the small X to close a window.
I will incorporate your suggestions on my wiki page. One last tip. You can change the windows in FreeCAD as follows (overlap windows). There you will also find the familiar X in the upper right corner.

overlap windows.gif
overlap windows.gif (623.8 KiB) Viewed 1272 times
… for a happy FreeCAD-World … JM2C …
LHC

Post by LHC »

That information on hiding and displaying the custom toolbar is something I did not know about.
And - even though I did know about overlaying the windows in Freecad, I had not done it for some time, and only did it in the context of spreadsheets and models being viewed at the same time. It did not even occur to me to do it with the web page window. Strange how the human mind works (or does not work) sometimes. However, it's a good example of like you say "you can't assume anything when it comes to new users of FreeCad" ! Glad I was able to help you and refine your documentation for this valuable addition to the program.
Cheers from Canada,
Lewis