IconThemes

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: IconThemes

Post by triplus »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:04 pm JFYI, I'm not a huge fan of this type of 'Laura Croft Tombraider' style of documentations. AKA searching for clues buried in long murky phpbb threads that need to be waded through while the README.md of the repo is desert sparse that resutls may lead to an anti-climactic treasure. (ok, sorry for waxing polemic)
I prefer documentation that explains how to test even if it's in an alpha state; what known issues are; where more work is needed, and ways to help contribute. I'm trying to help with getting there, but it seems my attempts are not so welcomed.
The problem is you usually use some strange language, with not much additional (information) value. Instructions become longer, but usually don't explain anything new, more bloat. Usage of terms like "murky", "anti-climatic", "waxing" ... I don't communicate like that and that is why i have problems merging such PR. As i would never use such language. At least not in such concentration and such short sentence. Normal people read instructions and hence the language needs to be normal. Not too formal and not too loose. Anyway, if your proposal would resolve all that, i wouldn't have hard time merging it. In addition and based on your info and screenshots, you didn't manage to get it working? But you did have all this great ideas, on how to improve the documentation?

Wouldn't it make sense, to first make it work, and after the "eureka effect", to propose the documentation change? Just saying.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:55 am
Kunda1 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:04 pm(ok, sorry for waxing polemic)
The problem is you usually use some strange language, with not much additional (information) value. Instructions become longer, but usually don't explain anything new, more bloat. Usage of terms like "murky", "anti-climatic", "waxing" ... I don't communicate like that and that is why i have problems merging such PR.
I was intentionally using that language from the previous post above to make a point. I was not suggesting to use that type of language.
triplus wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:55 am As i would never use such language. At least not in such concentration and such short sentence. Normal people read instructions and hence the language needs to be normal. Not too formal and not too loose. Anyway, if your proposal would resolve all that, i wouldn't have hard time merging it. In addition and based on your info and screenshots, you didn't manage to get it working? But you did have all this great ideas, on how to improve the documentation?
In fact, (although it's my subjective opinion) I'm not sure how the PR I proposed fits your description.
Here's the diff: https://github.com/triplus/IconThemes/pull/4/files
Here's the preview: https://github.com/luzpaz/IconThemes/bl ... /README.md
triplus wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:55 am Wouldn't it make sense, to first make it work, and after the "eureka effect", to propose the documentation change? Just saying.
What I'm seeing is just philosophical differing approaches here.

I'll tell you my own perspective, if I don't know how to test your contribution (in this specific case: to beautify and customize the UI) then effectively you've just lost a potential tester and potentially passionate future contributor.
My take, as I mentioned before, is that I prefer documentation that explains how to test even if it's in an alpha state; what known issues are; where more work is needed, and ways to help contribute.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:14 pm I was intentionally using that language from the previous post above to make a point. I was not suggesting to use that type of language.
Yeah, you were trying to be snarky. That is the correct term, isn't it? Anyway, IconThemes module isn't in alpha state anymore. There could still be some glitches involved, but in general this is it, functionality wise. And as you didn't have any real issues installing it, i said you now need an icon theme:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p331837

Therefore lets start again from the beginning and lets determine what doesn't work on your side? Instructions say on where to install the icon theme:

https://github.com/triplus/IconThemes

And there are currently two icon themes for FreeCAD available:

Legacy:
https://github.com/pgilfernandez/FreeCA ... eme_simple

RCC format:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p309057

Therefore did you already try to install an icon theme? Do that first and report back after.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

triplus wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:45 pm Therefore lets start again from the beginning and lets determine what doesn't work on your side? Instructions say on where to install the icon theme:

https://github.com/triplus/IconThemes
I think the problem Kunda has is that your instructions just say, "place the icons.rcc here". That is clear, that's easy to follow, but that's not very useful. The real problem is creating that icons.rcc file. How do you do that exactly?

These instructions aren't in your repository. These instructions are in some forum post. This is what Kunda is talking about. They are basically hidden, buried, under many posts. If you would place these instructions in your own repository, then the entire information would be centralized in one place.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

No, @Kunda1 is trying to install an IconTheme module and after to install and apply an icon theme. He wanted to change documentation, on how to make that easier for people, before figuring the actual steps out himself. As that didn't work out, as how could it, he tried to be snarky.

Therefore sorry, but no. Try harder.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Case in point:
usbhub wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:37 pm I think it would be a good idea to make the icon theme easy installable via the addon manager.

It took nearly 1h for me to understand how to install all.

usbhub

PS: Where is the difference between demo and legacy?
Source: COILicontheme thread https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 83#p338483
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

OK, therefore the problem isn't about the current documentation. @vocx stated, that instructions, on where to put the icon pack are already rather clear and straightforward. @usbhub managed to figure it out, hinting it would be great, if icon themes pack would be available through addon manager in the future.

Therefore i guess now you need to do the same. And to figure out, on how to install an icon theme, based on the provided instructions. Or are you saying you have tried that and can't figure it out, and need more help? In that case please be more verbose and describe at what exact step you need more help. After you will succeed, then feel free to propose documentation changes, for making it easier, for other people, trying to do the same, install an icon theme. If you don't plan to do any of this, please understand, i have better things to do ATM. Reasonable amount of time, and more, was already dedicated to addressing your concerns in this area.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I won't complicate this further:
After I install from Addon Manager what do I do?
I open Accessories
Opened both Icon themes and Icon themes (legacy) and see the following:

What do I do now?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18353 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 5de6763ed5889bfec76994e77d9c71b362448790
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
icon-themes-broken.png
icon-themes-broken.png (26.68 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:08 pm I won't complicate this further:
Exactly.
What do I do now?
Download the FC_COIL_LAS_RCC.rcc file and move it in the following location:

Code: Select all

/home/user_name/.FreeCAD/Gui/Icons/FC_COIL_LAS_RCC.rcc
After there should be a new option available, when starting the Icon themes (Accessories -> Icon themes).
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:53 pm After there should be a new option available, when starting the Icon themes (Accessories -> Icon themes).
Yes, I enabled it and then restarted. Don't see the new icons.

Also, and I've posted this a few times already, but is this not a python issue?