IconThemes

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MisterMaker

Re: IconThemes

Post by MisterMaker »

I don't like too work with Inkscape either although I am pretty sure if you put some efforts in it it would be workable.
About the icon space I made a new dark theme specially to remove the icon padding to optimize icon space. Every dark theme I found had at least 1 or 2 pixels of padding and that ads up.
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

MisterMaker wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:02 am I don't like too work with Inkscape either although I am pretty sure if you put some efforts in it it would be workable.
About the icon space I made a new dark theme specially to remove the icon padding to optimize icon space. Every dark theme I found had at least 1 or 2 pixels of padding and that ads up.
Inkscape looks great to me. It is much better organized than GIMP. All icons are accurate and placed very good. There is a lot of space at screen. Looks professional. But I was using GIMP and there are only layers no extra Page, so it was confusing to me. But for sure I will back to inkscape. I plan to add svg icons for some difficult tools, and add resized version at info screen.

Regarding SVG vs XPM the XPM takes about 10 KiB and the same size SVG 48x48 takes 30 KiB. So the SVG take much space 3x, maybe if the XPM would take same size for such a small icon there would not be difference.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

workbench for woodworking is available at: github.com/dprojects/Woodworking
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

Finally, I decided to switch everything to 200x200 PNG. I think PNG is the winner.

At the gif below it is order:

1. 200 x 200 PNG - is the best, looks good as small icon, and after resize to 200x200, small size about 16 KiB, like XPM, easy to create at GIMP, also I can refer at any website tutorial and if I change icon this will be changed in all tutorials, is supported everywhere, what gives best flexibility
  2. 48 x 48 XPM - small size, about 16 KiB, but after resize looks blocky, not supported at github markdown
  3. 48 x 48 SVG - I think this is the worst choice for static toolbar, big size 3x XPM or PNG, still blocky after resize to 200 x 200, not supported at github markdown

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Ok who is going to update the wiki about icons change SVG to PNG :P
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

MisterMaker wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:08 pm Ok who is going to update the wiki about icons change SVG to PNG :P
What you mean by that? I am not at wiki. Maybe, I will leave some XPMs that will not be used for info screens. I am not sure if the workbench selector or drop-down menu entries support PNG, probably not.

I am during icons replacement, making new infos, some features and translations. I really hate this type of job, I mean making docs, writing articles. I never know what to write. This is sooo.... stupid ;-) but docs are essential, code without good docs and API is worth nothing in fact.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

dprojects

Post by dprojects »

MisterMaker wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:55 pm All the workbench icons are PNG files.
I replaced most of all XPM with PNG. The XPM are only for tools with GUI and without info screen. For now this should be fine.

I don't really feel like making icons right now. Maybe someday I will do it when I am more willing and then maybe I will also make prettier icons. Because now I don't really have any ideas for new, better icons for these tools.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Needing to press 'Ok' each time activating an tooltip....mmmm not sure about that.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
dprojects

Post by dprojects »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:10 pm Needing to press 'Ok' each time activating an tooltip....mmmm not sure about that.
It is not tooltip on mouse hover, it is some kind of mini tutorial and is activated only in case of error. If there is no active document as well. So... it is not annoying for user and it is activated in right situation. It is good solution for new workbench user. If user know how to use command, not make errors, by not selecting something if needed, the popup will not be activated. This approach is much better.

Also this solves problem with too small icons. The zooming on hover would be disturbing, if someone would like to click icon and the icons around would be zooming and cover the place to click....

Another solution could be big tooltip with images and html tuorial activated on mouse hover. This is probably the solution you mean. But this would make a mess. If user would like to run command in 3rd row the mouse hover would go thru all popups in 1st and 2nd row, all screen would be in popups. Some applications, mostly at web, go to this direction... and all web page is with popups, and you wasting time to close them all.

Thanks
Darek
github.com/dprojects

yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

in that sense it is more a kind of alternative "what's this"... hmm.. the concept is very interesting. Indeed we could think of a help system that consists of having simple, normal, quick, non-intrusive tooltips, longer, detailed tooltips, and finally the complete help page