adding gif in wiki pages?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
david69
Veteran

adding gif in wiki pages?

Post by david69 »

yesterday I struggled a bit to figure out how to use the TechDraw_SectionView in order to double check which translation I should write. I tried to use that tool. Pop up occured but the messages were not clear for me.
I am a real beginner as I don't use FreeCAD at all.

I dont' remember if it was already raised, a gif sometimes can be sometimes helpful, don't you think?
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: adding gif in wiki pages?

Post by Roy_043 »

I was also struggling with the TechDraw_SectionView command and the TechDraw_ComplexSection command and can only agree that the Usage paragraphs on their reference pages need fleshing out. I am not a big fan of gif animations though.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I think it was discussed before, and the outcome was, that the limitations of gifs such as no clear start and end would limit their usage to very limited applications, and that clear / easily understandable text accompnied by static images is preferred.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

all right fair enough about gif.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Forum member jpg87 has shown where animated gifs can be useful. Here is an example linked from his website. It doesn't really matter where it starts and shows very clear the degrees of freedom left:

There are more of these on the assembly page of his website https://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/020_ass_DOF.php, where you can control when to start the animation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.