Part/draft/partWB Tutorial missing step(s)

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sbixby

Part/draft/partWB Tutorial missing step(s)

Post by sbixby »

Hello, I'm a new forum user - and new to FreeCAD - and I'm working through some of the tutorials.

At the moment I'm in the middle of "Creating a simple part with Draft and Part WB": https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Creating_a_ ... nd_Part_WB

Just before the header "Why extruding can fail" is a paragraph starting with "The profile is ready and shown below with the edges organized in a Std Group.svg Group named Profile"

I believe it's missing a section for grouping the elements. So far, my best guess is that it should describe something like:

To aid in later steps, create a group and add all of the edges to it. To create a group, right click on the document in the tree view, and click "Create Group"; then select all of the edges and drag to the group.

And presumably a couple of icons and/or images to suit.

Being a brand new user and never having edited wiki pages, I'm not quite enabled for this yet. But -- I'm happy to participate, perhaps with some oversight by established editors. The author on the page is 'heda', and I'm not yet able to PM this person to coordinate.

Otherwise speaking, I'm an experienced software developer and I've just gotten my first 3D printer, hence learning FreeCAD. I chose FreeCAD over something like Fusion360 simply because I prefer to live/play/work in the Linux world. I will also probably spend some time with OpenSCAD as script-based design intrigues me as well.
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Part/draft/partWB Tutorial missing step(s)

Post by Roy_043 »

The text you quote is incomplete:
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Creating_a_simple_part_with_Draft_and_Part_WB wrote:The profile is ready and shown below with the edges organized in a Group named Profile (or labeled to be precise in FreeCAD lingo), along with the help line deleted. Groups can be used to organize the features in your FreeCAD documents, its usage is similar to a folder structure on a computer’s file system. To move things in and out of the group, use drag and drop in the Tree View.
So there are instructions on how to put objects in a group. And the icon and the word Group link to the command reference page. Also there is no need to right-click the Tree view: there is a Group button in a toolbar. I am not saying that this section cannot be improved, but if you stumble here, then the other instances where there is an icon and a link, without a "click this button" instruction (such as "just use Undo" above the quoted text), should also be a problem for you.

... I hope we can agree that the average computer user knows how to drag and drop. :mrgreen: