page Workarounds

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
david69
Veteran

page Workarounds

Post by david69 »

I see the Workarounds page is pretty interesting in particular for new comers and is quite extensive. Do we need to wait more information before to be translated?
@NewJoker & @Roy_043
onekk
Veteran

Re: page Workarounds

Post by onekk »

david69 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:59 am I see the Workarounds page is pretty interesting in particular for new comers and is quite extensive. Do we need to wait more information before to be translated?
Probably this is only my personal point of view.

IMHO most of them are not workarounds, are simply a way to obtain the job done using FC in "his actual state".

IMHO a workaround is a way to circumvent a bug. Technically a "missing feature" is not a bug, and even what is deciding that the feature is missing if "there is a way to make the job", maybe it wil be desirable to have "another way" or "a more simple way" to do the job.

IMHO this page is lacking of consistency, as in many place there is the answer that there is no "workaround", so in this case "no viable solutions" are proposed.

It seems more a list of "desirable features" found in other CAD that in FC are not "done as in the other CAD's", or are missing.

Good work, but wrong title IMHO.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

david69 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:59 amDo we need to wait more information before to be translated?
Hopefully, more entries will be removed than added since new tools are still introduced to FreeCAD. However, I can still think about a few further missing tools that I’d like to add there and I will do this soon.

onekk wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:23 pm Good work, but wrong title IMHO.
It was initially named "Missing features" but Yorik suggested calling it "Workarounds" instead to avoid deterring users. A workaround is defined as "a method for overcoming a problem or limitation in a program or system". Missing features can be considered limitations and I think that the alternative workflows used in place of these unavailable features can be called workarounds. This is often done on the forum as well.

I will try to add workarounds to each entry, it should be doable and it will look better than "No workarounds".

I think that this page can be very useful for new users looking for a particular functionality that’s currently missing in FreeCAD. I often refer to this page when someone asks what to do when a particular feature is not yet available.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

NewJoker wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:08 pm
onekk wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:23 pm Good work, but wrong title IMHO.
It was initially named "Missing features" but Yorik suggested calling it "Workarounds" instead to avoid deterring users. A workaround is defined as "a method for overcoming a problem or limitation in a program or system". Missing features can be considered limitations and I think that the alternative workflows used in place of these unavailable features can be called workarounds. This is often done on the forum as well.

I will try to add workarounds to each entry, it should be doable and it will look better than "No workarounds".

I think that this page can be very useful for new users looking for a particular functionality that’s currently missing in FreeCAD. I often refer to this page when someone asks what to do when a particular feature is not yet available.

Ok if this a yorik suggestion my concerns are maybe too much.

Good about improving.

I think that such a genre of pages is more geared towards "new users that have used other CADs"

As I've nit used otger CAD other than LibreCAD that is 2D, probably I've not taken too kuch "bad habits" :D.

However compliments for the work, even if my post could resemble a critics, it was not my intention to diminish your work (extend it to other collaborators).

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

thank you NewJoker for the clarifications and onekk for your questions.
NewJoker wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:08 pm Hopefully, more entries will be removed than added since new tools are still introduced to FreeCAD. However, I can still think about a few further missing tools that I’d like to add there and I will do this soon.
it's the main reason why I raised this thread.
this page is going to evolve and lives it own life with adding of new features/features. Wait and see.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

under translation, thanks!
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

@NewJoker what does ribs mean in "A tool for automatic creation of ribs"?
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

david69 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:07 pm what does ribs mean in "A tool for automatic creation of ribs"?
Commercial CAD software often has dedicated tools for the creation of structural ribs (reinforcements): https://youtu.be/SDWODT02RUg

Ribs created this way can be detected when creating a technical drawing to automatically remove them from hatching (according to technical drawing standards, ribs shouldn’t be hatched). This was discussed here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=68924
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

the video help me a lot, now I know what it is and my translation will not talk about pork ;) . thank you.