Current mediawiki is outdated and has security issues

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Current mediawiki is outdated and has security issues

Post by Roy_043 »

yorik wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:14 am They have to ask for a wiki account too.
Working with GitHub is really much harder. I manage, but still find it difficult.
Simbioz

Post by Simbioz »

Roy_043 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:32 am
Simbioz wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:44 pm
I see that you are using the Discussion pages on the Wiki. Keep in mind that very few editors, if any, consult them. Almost all Discussion pages are empty.
Yes, I realized. But what is the alternative? To just change the documentation to whatever is I think is better/correct? Anyway, so far I am only committing minors edits (typos, add links, etc). In the discussion section I give MHO as to how could specific parts of the documentation be made more user/novice friendly.

It's a lonely road to travel :lol:
Non native English speaker.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Simbioz wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:10 pm But what is the alternative?
the forum?
Simbioz

Post by Simbioz »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:33 pm
Simbioz wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:10 pm But what is the alternative?
the forum?
But specific threads get lost in subforums full of threads, like a single tree get's lost in the forest (I know the aphorism is the other way around, this is just my take on it 8-) ), so the information (comments about the page, the discussion section) is not as accessible as in the wiki, and I doubt someone who is browsing the wiki is gonna ask himself "what do other people think about modifying the contents of this specific subject" -before committing an edit- and do a search that might not necessarily show obvious result at first sight. So the answer is not so straightforward.
Simbioz

Post by Simbioz »

It seems freecadwiki could work in tandem with FreeCAD-documentation if I am understanding this correctly.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I've tried many forms of git + mediawiki integration systems, but everything i tried didn't work too well.

In any case: We can continue with the wiki for as long as it is convenient. Also, there will always be people who prefer system XXX over system YYY. We need to assess IMHO what fullfills our needs best and also gives us the most sustainable solution (ie low maintenance, portable/exportable)
Simbioz

Post by Simbioz »

yorik wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:56 am We need ... the most sustainable solution (ie low maintenance, portable/exportable)
It seems the maintenance of the wiki is somewhat of a burden that falls in less than a handful of men. Maybe you could consider expanding the wiki maintenance team to a selected few you trust and are knowledgeable in the matter.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Simbioz wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:31 pm It seems the maintenance of the wiki is somewhat of a burden that falls in less than a handful of men. Maybe you could consider expanding the wiki maintenance team to a selected few you trust and are knowledgeable in the matter.
We do that already.. But there are not many skilled with mediawiki AND willing to spend time on it...
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

How is readthedocs.org compared to mediawiki / git / ...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

readthedocs renders docs nicely, but does not offer users easy ways to edit it...