general discussion about Wiki rules, style guidelines etc.

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: general discussion about Wiki rules, style guidelines etc.

Post by Roy_043 »

@uwestoehr
Roy_043 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:11 am @uwestoehr You have raised the issue of etiquette. This is not a trivial matter.

I have called you out on double standards. You need to respond to that.

You also need to respond to chrisb's suggestion regarding the new etiquette rules. They will be a big change for all editors, but certainly for you and me.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:03 pm I have called you out on double standards. You need to respond to that.
You also need to respond to chrisb's suggestion regarding the new etiquette rules. They will be a big change for all editors, but certainly for you and me.
I posted what I want to change in the template for commands.

I also stated how I would like to handle Wiki edits in respond to https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 1f#p603063
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:17 pm In this case we see an editor take a layout that conforms to the GuiCommand_model and modify it in such a way that it no longer does. Uwe knows about the model, it has been pointed out several times (that is why the word 'unveil' in his initial post is so annoying, it completely misrepresents the facts). It has also been explained that it is effectively a consensus that was reached in the past and that it is therefore important to follow it.
Before starting this thread, I was not aware of the template GuiCommand_model. I obviously missed this info.
However, now that know, I asked here about the forum thread where this template was discussed/developed. I could not find a thread by searching the forum.

But OK, we are in the here and now. In my today's long post I made proposals on how to change the existing template.

As I wrote in my initial post of this tread, I would like to have as result of this discussion some written rules (how to deal with edits, reversions etc.) we agree to. @chrisb made a proposal and I would add the points I wrote about in my today's longer post in this thread.

@chrisb, can you please post a list of "hard rules" and "soft rules" as proposal. Then we comment in this. I think this would be a good workflow.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:51 pm @chrisb, can you please post a list of "hard rules" and "soft rules" as proposal. Then we comment in this. I think this would be a good workflow.
Hmm; does it really need rigd rules? Isn't it finally all about "you must not destroy the work of others, but you are welcome to improve it"? I have the strong feeling that it is in many cases near to impossible to define in advance the border between improvement and destruction.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:51 pm Before starting this thread, I was not aware of the template GuiCommand_model.
Why do you persist with this nonsense? I don't mind having a discussion about the Wiki and its rules, but let's stick to the facts first. See: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/User_talk:Roy_043.
Attachments
uwestoehr-guicommand_model.png
uwestoehr-guicommand_model.png (6.64 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

@uwestoehr This topic is now at an impasse, obviously. Before we can move forward you really need to respond.
Simbioz

Post by Simbioz »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:35 am
I often heared from people (especially developers) that editing the Wiki is too complicated, one has to learn the syntax and there are many rules.
Many years ago I tried to contribute to Wikipedia, minor changes only... it goes without saying that all my edits were reverted almost instantaneously :lol: I was so pissed off inasmuch that I forgo contributing all together. Back to the present day, I decided to give another chance to wiki contributing but this time to the freecad wiki (just because I find this software so great!). Needless to say, I had forgotten all mediawiki syntax, although this time I found the process much more straightforward and simple. To the extend that while I found the syntax daunting at first, I quickly got up to speed because the documentation is there and is very good quality. Somehow, now searching for the rules, syntax, templates, layouts and documentation came very naturally, and more importantly, it made sense. Maybe, because despite all the complexities involved, freecad wiki policies and rules amount to just a fraction of Wikipedia's ones (they ******* never end!). Alternatively, it may just be the wisdom that comes with the years :D

edit: Ooops I did not see this
Roy_043 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:57 pm @uwestoehr This topic is now at an impasse, obviously. Before we can move forward you really need to respond.
Sorry for the interruption. :roll:
Non native English speaker.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I don't exactly know how to move forward now, the OP has left the discussion and we could therefore call it quits and leave things as they are. But some of the things that have been raised here do worry me.

Reading between the lines it seems that the consensus among the other Wiki participants is that every editor should be allowed to do their own thing, and we should not have too many rules or be too strict, it is 'just' the Wiki after all. In my opinion this laissez-faire mentality cannot work. I would go as far as to say that the Wiki is just as important as the source code of FreeCAD, and it deserves the same level of attention and the same focus on quality. Am I really alone in this?
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:17 am I would go as far as to say that the Wiki is just as important as the source code of FreeCAD, and it deserves the same level of attention and the same focus on quality. Am I really alone in this?
No. +1
kaktus
Veteran

Post by kaktus »

FBXL5 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:42 am
Roy_043 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:17 am I would go as far as to say that the Wiki is just as important as the source code of FreeCAD, and it deserves the same level of attention and the same focus on quality. Am I really alone in this?
No. +1

A Wiki is like an operator's manual.
Any invention, even the most intuitive one, is worth nothing if it is very complex and has no instruction manual. ;)

Responding to Roy_043's doubts, I will quote FBXL5.
No. +1
Twórca polskiej wersji Wiki dla FreeCAD, współwórca polskiej wersji GUI.
"Cierpliwym być musisz, by wiedzę zgłębiać tajemną, gdyż ciemna strona mocy niszczącą i silną jest".