general discussion about Wiki rules, style guidelines etc.

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: general discussion about Wiki rules, style guidelines etc.

Post by chrisb »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:17 am Am I really alone in this?
No! (I could give that question a "-1")

I feel a bit guilty that my posts may have lead to the assumption that it doesn't need rules for the wiki.

I referred only to the social level, where someone edits stuff authored by some other wiki editor.

We hope of course that wiki editors are 1) smart and 2) nice to others. Alas, we know that sometimes one of these is not fulfilled and on rare occasions even both.

We could try to add rules telling how to behave, but beyond the obvious - which I tried to express in my previous posts - such rules would become rather complicated and they wouldn't directly improve the contents.

So you are very right, that guidelines about the contents are needed. If it is clear what and how things should be presented in the wiki, it can help to avoid the issues mentioned above in the first place.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

we are all on the same nice boat and we are here for fun, no? no money, no competition, no market and blabla...

I am pro to introduce some flexibility. It may open the Pandora box, yes. We will see and I second chrisb
We hope of course that wiki editors are 1) smart and 2) nice to others. Alas, we know that sometimes one of these is not fulfilled and on rare occasions even both.
how to define a fuzzy border between do_what_you_want and strict rules?
- we can give examples and remind it's a matter of clarity, intelligence, reading, common sense, down to earth.
- and remind, if there are doubts, open a discussion in camaraderie spirit either in pm or on forum.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:52 am Why do you persist with this nonsense?
Can you please moderate your tone? The point is not that I missed or forgot an info.
The point is that you act according to rules. OK, but then there must be a discussion that lead to the rules.

Therefore I started this thread to discuss the rules and from my perspective to change them. I made proposals to change them. It would be good to hear arguments that are against my proposal since this is what discussion is for - understanding the different points of view, think about for some time than find a way the majority agrees to.

@chrisb wrote that we don't need strict rules. This would be fine with me, but this means that things can be handled less strict, so as I wrote, to omit e.g. the workbench technical name in links.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:17 am In my opinion this laissez-faire mentality cannot work.
But I never said I want this. There is a template for how to describe features. That is good. I made a clear proposal in which way I want to change it.
If you like, I can change the template as I propose and input this Wiki page here to the discussion.

---------

I did not leave the discussion but the work after the release was for me after the release even more than before. I am just a human and my spare time is some how limited. Therefore I had to focus the last days in checking regression and installation reports, backporting fixes etc. Besides this, I also wanted to hack a bit because I also have some features in the pipeline for FreeCAD :) .

p.s. now, the first time since 2 weeks I found time to read all posts where I was pinged
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

You have raised the point of etiquette. Chris has made suggestions that would require a change in attitude from me, yes I admit that, but also from you. Judging from the way you want to brush over your 'selective memory' the latter part has not yet sunk in. If this is your interpretation of the new etiquette then this discussion no longer makes sense to me.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Roy_043 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:14 pm If this is your interpretation of the new etiquette then this discussion no longer makes sense to me.
- you act according to rules and this is OK
- I did not know the rules and you already pointed me to them.
- I forgot some rules and/or missed some things but I think this is now sorted out.
- Now, that "we found us toghether" as we say in German, we can work together. :)

I want:
- discuss the rules and the Wiki template
- as result we have a template and some riles the majority of Wiki editors agree