Wiki:Discussion usage

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FBXL5

Re: Wiki:Discussion usage

Post by FBXL5 »

onekk wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:17 pm
So it may be a misinterpretation of "transition... to GitHub..."?
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Roy_043 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:24 pm As I understand it the GitHub documentation will replace the Wiki.
Does it still make sense to improve the wiki?
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=69441

It seem from this discussion that actual wiki is not dead.

And a part from how it is done I think that it will remain an html thing, so whatever helper methods you will use (wikimedia or other fixed templates) the fact that FC is incorporating Qt and his webengine means in my opinion that html will be used.

If you are aware of the difference between a static and a dinamic html page is this coul be a big difference.

But final product seen from the end user point if view is always an html document.

So not kuch hassle other than using conventions to write page that will appear uniform in aspect. But this could be achieved quite easily with css nowadays.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

"a way to download once the big bunch of data and updating only diffs"

is for all practical purposes already possible with current wiki.

have yet to come across a decent previewer for md, could of course be that i have not had the real need to chase that down, yes i know there are ide viewers, but as said they might or might not reflect the actual md parser/flavour used for final rendering

btw, are the thoughts that gh would be used for source only, or source & rendering?
is there a bullet list of pro/cons of such move somewhere?
manos

Post by manos »

onekk wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:17 pm I guess the intention is to maintain wiki pages using GitHub, not consulting them in GitHub.
Carlo D.
Github will be used by writers of Wiki. Mere users must not have to use Github for documentation but continue to use Wiki pages.
In other words FC is for simple users and not for computer Gurus.
Last edited by manos on Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

heda wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:05 pm
is there a bullet list of pro/cons of such move somewhere?
I don't know where the discussion is, but if you see @Roy_043 post, it seems clear that some discussion were done.

For md viewer I think that Emacs has something, but as Emacs is a rather peculiar editor, this could not be the best solution.

And it depends on what you are used to use.

I have refused to use it for years, but after having forced me to try fir some time and having found a decent package that will make shortcut key more in line eith the usual universal style ones (ctrl+c, ctrl+x, ctrl+v snd so on) I'm using it in a decent way for everyday use.

quite recently the lsp integration using some packages have made it decent to edit many languages and fir my use of Latex and Python is quite powerful.

But it is an old dynosaur and not very beautiful speaking if GUI that is very minimal.

Regards

Carlo D.