Wiki:Discussion usage

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
manos

Wiki:Discussion usage

Post by manos »

Hello
Is there any help about using the Discussion tab at wiki.freecadweb.org? I think that it's time to wake up the sleeping beauty.
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Wiki:Discussion usage

Post by Roy_043 »

I am not sure what your intentions are. The discussion pages on the Wiki are for discussions (among Wiki editors) about the Wiki documentation. They are indeed almost always empty.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

If you think about improvements to a page, you could present them on the discussion page before you alter the real one.
Below the change suggestion is enough space for a little feedback. If a decision is made the content of the discussion page could be removed.

This avoids unnecessary trouble with previous editors. ;)
manos

Post by manos »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:45 pm I am not sure what your intentions are. ...
My intentions are to use the discussion tab as a "Note" tab from and for users. There we could write everything additional information to the command : Error messages pertaining to the command, their explanation ,actions taken. Also could be added comments, remarks and ambiguities on commands. Etc,etc

Now what ?
manos

Post by manos »

FBXL5 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:43 pm If you think about improvements to a page,.... ;)
FBXL5 I do not think about improvements to a page but rather adding more info about the page. (usually a command) . Even unofficial and sometimes erroneous, this info from the users could help users in most times. Even simple links to some important forum discussions-posts would be helpful to other users. A place out of typical documentation space -the main pages-would be appropriate for the users not to be confused. Please read also my previous post.
Thank you for your post.FBXL5
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

manos wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:49 pm ... a "Note" tab from and for users. There we could write everything additional information to the command : Error messages pertaining to the command, their explanation ,actions taken. Also could be added comments, remarks and ambiguities on commands. Etc,etc
I'm not sure if it is a good idea, but it is worth giving it a try. At least it will be more useful than an empty page.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

You mean: give all users Wiki editing rights and then just let things happen? :shock:
manos

Post by manos »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:51 pm You mean: give all users Wiki editing rights .... :shock:
Of course not . Jesus Christ not. Do not give any right to anybody concerning every main page. But rights to the page with tab "Discussion" why not ? Or maybe
one more tab -if it is easy to add- labelled "Notes": There where every pained newbie could describe the problem he confronted and the solution he found. This page will collect the core of the Forum:Help on using Freecad.
What is the harm ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't like the idea of providing end user information via the discussion page. It will not be obvious that more information can be found there, and - worse - it would split discussions about the contents between te wiki and this forum.
If we had to decide where to discuss things, I prefer the latter, because many of such discussions arise from a help request or even a false error report.
I see the problem, that such discussions are not obviously connected to a wiki page, but we should rather show the discipline to improve the wiki after a corresponding discussion.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
manos

Post by manos »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:48 pm ... and - worse - it would split discussions about the contents between te wiki and this forum.
If we had to decide where to discuss things, I prefer the latter,....
... but we should rather show the discipline to improve the wiki after a corresponding discussion.
Chrisb thanks for your thoughts but the place for the discussions still remains the forum. Wiki:Tab will be a place only for the conclusions related to the page. Anything there must be connected to a forum:subforum. It will be a bunch of unofficial hints by previous users.
Improvements of wiki are done of course with a more strict procedure, by a smaller group of members.