How to get wiki editing permissions

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
1833183060qqcom

Re: How to get wiki editing permissions

Post by 1833183060qqcom »

I want to get wiki editing permissions .thanks
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

At first need to know you better. What will you document?

As you can assume we are fighting with spam and therefore we need to trust each other a bit by seeing that editors know FreeCAD. Usually this works by looking at your forum posts. Since you are brand new, it is not easy for us to make a decision right now.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

and the cryptic username is not helping :?
kborgen

Post by kborgen »

I'm assuming this counts as a post for sending a PM to edit the Wiki.

The reason why i want permission to edit is to update/modify the wiki for the shortcuts page.

I want to start with the shortcuts specifically because before FreeCAD i mainly used Blender and CATIA. CATIA was used and I still use it at times for my research and it is one of the many "free" programs offered by my school for engineering, but I cant use it at home for my personal projects. When i couldn't use CATIA for projects i started learning Blender to create 3D printable airplanes since it was much easier to deal with complex curves and geometry manipulation for aircraft in Blender. What i did learn from Blender through the YouTube videos from BlenderGuru was that hotkeys for blender was immensely powerful.

Well from years of using CATIA and being ingrained with that workflow I just assumed that FreeCAD was the same and i click picture of what I want and then click face etc... Then my peanut brain finally realized there were hotkeys after way too much time and wow, the workflow speed has increased dramatically compared to any of the CAD programs I have used before.

Now I'm in the middle of learning the hotkeys and working and I have begun to learn that there is a little bit of inconsistency with the tool-tip hotkey, wiki hotkey, and what the actual hotkey is and want to help fix it for my sake and problems and others in the future. Maybe a bit longer than some of the other explanations for why to edit, but hopefully it shows passion and excitement over helping and fixing the issues!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

kborgen wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:49 pm The reason why i want permission to edit is to update/modify the wiki for the shortcuts page.
OK.
Since you are new to FC and in the learning phase. Let's start this way:
- open a new thread in the Wiki section of the forum what you would change in what page
- others can then review this. It is not to offend you, only because we sometimes have the info in another place already and can this way merge the info.
- after some of your posts, we know you and can give you Wiki write access.

I hope this is fine for you.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We had talked among the moderators about how liberal we want to be with wiki permissions. IIRC it was Yorik who said we should not be too restrictive. The wiki is a possibility to help the project without being a C++ or Python developer. So we should keep the fruit hanging low.
kborgen has explained what he wants to do and this sounds quite reasonable, and if he wants to help in the wiki, we could well let him.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:48 am kborgen has explained what he wants to do and this sounds quite reasonable, and if he wants to help in the wiki, we could well let him.
Did you also spoke to @mario52 and @Roy_043 ? They do great work and it costs a lot of time when persons do things wrong.
kborgen has no yet made forum posts and is learning FC. Therefore I would prefer, what I proposed and would leave the decision to @mario52 and @Roy_043.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

kborgen wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:49 pm there is a little bit of inconsistency with the tool-tip hotkey, wiki hotkey, and what the actual hotkey
This is an issue that goes beyond the Wiki of course. I have also left a comment in the related topic: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68920.

chrisb wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:48 am kborgen has explained what he wants to do and this sounds quite reasonable, and if he wants to help in the wiki, we could well let him.
FWIW: I agree.
kborgen

Post by kborgen »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:39 am kborgen has no yet made forum posts and is learning FC.
To clarify a bit for the FC forum posts and github stuff I'm new to the process and procedures and will learn that.

As for FC I have been using it as my primary CAD software for the past 2-3 years now nearly daily and feel I have gotten quite comfortable with the sections I use. I am learning the keyboard shortcuts, however and as i find inconsistencies in the tool-tips, wiki, etc. that's where i can provide the most value right now.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I'd be happy to set you up with a wiki account in that case. Please DM me a valid email and we'll go from there
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs