Sketcher: B-Spline pages

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jnxd

Re: Sketcher: B-Spline pages

Post by jnxd »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:31 pm If the B-spline page should contain a section explaining knot vector. This would pump up the page.
But OK, let's add this.

However, please don't change the existing didactic order of the Wiki page that we can rely on the video lecture we link.
OK I'll keep the videos in mind when I write about knots.
uwestoehr wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:31 pm
jnxd wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:48 pm We should also consider referring people to more robust literature for more involved stuff. ...but I don't think it belongs in the wiki.
Yes, but all this please in the separate Wiki page.
Oh I just meant let's write less in the more math oriented pages, and instead cite other sources.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

jnxd wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:06 pm Oh I just meant let's write less in the more math oriented pages, and instead cite other sources.
OK. Let's discuss this further once you added the knots section.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

jnxd wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:48 pm Bonus if they can convert it to C++ code :D
Sagemath (now Jupyter notebook) has a c code generator. I used it for error and gradient functions in solver's ellipse. While this worked, it leads to very difficult to follow code. Some of them were later changed to use DeriVector (great DeepSOIC's class). This was way better readable.
uwestoehr wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:46 pm ...
The solver does not know about BSplines. It only sees circles (the current master). BSplines are there only because the solver can manage circles very well, and OCC can paint B-Splines based on poles. My lack of good understanding of B-Splines (and lack of time to gain a good one) is one of the reasons why I have been unable to improve B-Spline support. This is also why I am know interested in this work. Sorry.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

abdullah wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:09 pm Sagemath (now Jupyter notebook) has a c code generator. I used it for error and gradient functions in solver's ellipse. While this worked, it leads to very difficult to follow code. Some of them were later changed to use DeriVector (great DeepSOIC's class). This was way better readable.
I see. Guess it's worth taking a look at Jupyter.
abdullah wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:09 pm The solver does not know about BSplines. It only sees circles (the current master). BSplines are there only because the solver can manage circles very well, and OCC can paint B-Splines based on poles. My lack of good understanding of B-Splines (and lack of time to gain a good one) is one of the reasons why I have been unable to improve B-Spline support. This is also why I am know interested in this work. Sorry.
Not sure to what extent the solver now "knows" about B-splines with the new code. Because of the nature of B-splines they have to be handled differently. Let's touch base when you're done with the current PRs (in the appropriate forum)
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:46 pm
jnxd wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:06 pm Oh I just meant let's write less in the more math oriented pages, and instead cite other sources.
OK. Let's discuss this further once you added the knots section.
Written something about knots.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

jnxd wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:18 am Written something about knots.
Thanks!

I modified https://wiki.freecadweb.org/B-Splines#Knot_vector now to
- link the videos
- to be consistent with the above and below sections (I also adapted the "non-uniform" section below)
- to make clear that "n" is the degree
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:31 am I modified https://wiki.freecadweb.org/B-Splines#Knot_vector now to
I also
* omit the mention of the DeBoor algorithm and the mathematical details. As spoken, this can go to a dedicated math page.
* adapted the wording to be consistent with https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Sketcher_BS ... escription