Flamingo_Workbench page to be renamed?

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
david69
Veteran

Flamingo_Workbench page to be renamed?

Post by david69 »

Flamingo_Workbench has been by Dodo Workbench.

Is it possible to rename that page by Dodo_Workbench? It would be more logical, no?
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Flamingo_Workbench page to be renamed?

Post by Kunda1 »

Flamingo will be deprecated
Flamingo Workbench (Python2/Qt4) has been superseded by the Dodo Workbench (Python3/Qt5). This wiki page will highlight the differences between these two workbenches.
-from the wiki page

Flamingo has also been re-written. So it's technically Dodo moving forward. Although, I would prefer not using Dodo but instead a technical name since it's more descriptive and lets people know what the workbench does
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

yes i well read the warning and that's why I am asking this.
Dodo, or whatever, should replace Flamingo page.
we are on the same page.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:13 pm Although, I would prefer not using Dodo but instead a technical name since it's more descriptive and lets people know what the workbench does
When I first hear of this (then Flamingo) workbench I thought similar, "what kind of workbench should this be to build flamingos?". But thinking about it, it now seems to be a more intuitive name than for example "Fancy bends workbench".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:01 pm But thinking about it, it now seems to be a more intuitive name than for example "Fancy bends workbench".
lol

Pipes/Conduit workbench?
Pipes and Frames workbench?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

If the Dodo WB adds a package.xml metadata file with a short description of what the WB does, this will display in the Addon Manager in 0.20, and the exact name won't matter so much. It's searchable, too.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
marcin86

Post by marcin86 »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:03 pm
chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:01 pm But thinking about it, it now seems to be a more intuitive name than for example "Fancy bends workbench".
lol

Pipes/Conduit workbench?
Pipes and Frames workbench?
Maybe: "Frame/piping generator (Flamingo/Dodo)"
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

marcin86 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:01 pm Maybe: "Frame/piping generator (Flamingo/Dodo)"
Any name is better than Flamingo/Dodo. I have never tried this WB due to its silly name...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FBXL5 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:32 pm I have never tried this WB due to its silly name...
Oh boy, best argument ever! I'm glad I could choose a nickname here, otherwise you may never have read my posts.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

chrisb wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:33 pm Oh boy, best argument ever! I'm glad I could choose a nickname here, otherwise you may never have read my posts.
Who are you? You have posted some stuff before? And next you are going to tell me you have answered several of my quetions earlier... :lol:

Meanwhile I had a look at the wiki pages and can say that I have no use for this WB (yet).
The wiki pages could be a bit more inviting. I now have the impression that there is a quite usefull WB hidden behind a boring wiki page.