need info about Preference Packs

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

Re: need info about Preference Packs

Post by chennes »

Awesome, I'll give it a test later today (I have to teach a class now, so I'll be away for a few hours).
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
Chrismettal

Post by Chrismettal »

Thanks!

Adding it as a custom repo seems to work fine at least.

adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

perhaps it's better to have a separate repo for the new stuff? Now it shows in 0.19's addon manager were AFAIK it won't do anything after download and migth be confusing to some. On the other hand we already have addons that require 0.19 and above and show up in 0.18 so it's not a big deal either.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Right, there's no way to got back and have 0.19 and earlier recognize that these addons are too new for them, but going forward the Addon Manager will support recognizing that an Addon requires a version of FreeCAD newer than itself, and either not showing that, or warning the user about it.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chennes wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:05 pm Right, there's no way to got back and have 0.19 and earlier recognize that these addons are too new for them, but going forward the Addon Manager will support recognizing that an Addon requires a version of FreeCAD newer than itself, and either not showing that, or warning the user about it.
What does the current code (in master) do if it finds the addon requires a higher version? I know there aren't any now because master is the latest, but if that's not coded before release it won't know what to do with that either when it happens. I suggest just warning about minimum version not hiding.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

adrianinsaval wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:19 pm What does the current code (in master) do if it finds the addon requires a higher version?
The branch where I'm working at treats them just like the current one does obsolete Addons: there is just a preference entry that allows you to either hide them, or show them with a warning.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
Chrismettal

Post by Chrismettal »

Hey,

the wiki mentions manual installation of preference packs without the addon manager like this:
To install a pack manually, use git to clone the package repository into your FreeCAD data directory (the directory where your user.cfg file is located), in a subdirectory called "Preference Packs"
Currently I cannot seem to get that to work though. On an Arch system neither the Flatpak nor a source built 0.20 (68e3376) load preference packs put in any of the config directories I know of. The only place I can add preference packs to make them show up right now is in the source compiled build folder under "share/Gui/PreferencePacks/", where the built-in ones reside. I don't think that directory is accesible for the Flatpak version however, which is the destination for the PreferencePack I am trying to create (Steam Deck only supports the Flatpak version without making the filesystem mutable)

I tried putting a working preference pack in ".config/FreeCAD/Preference Packs". ".FreeCAD/Preference Packs" as well as ".local/share/FreeCAD/Preference Packs" because that's where the manually saved ones lie. Am I missing the correct location right now, or am I misinterpreting the wiki?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Chrismettal wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:04 pm ".local/share/FreeCAD/Preference Packs"
I would expect this to be the correct one for the source build, however it won't work for flatpak, it would be something like "~/.var/app/org.freecadweb.FreeCAD/data/Preference Packs"

Edit: corrected flatpak data path
Last edited by adrianinsaval on Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

You should definitely be able to put a new pack in the same location as the manually-saved ones (which should be something like ".local/share/FreeCAD/Preference Packs" for a normal Linux installation, or possibly "~/.var/flatpak/FreeCAD/Data/Preference Packs" for a FlatPak as suggested by adrianinsaval). Basically it's a "Preference Packs" directory in the same place as your user-installed "Mods" directory. If that's not working, it's most likely a problem with the package.xml metadata file.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Sorry I think it is actually ~/.var/app/org.freecadweb.FreeCAD/data/Preference Packs for the flatpak