Campaign to add language agnostic animated gifs to each FC command page on the wiki (+ possibly as tooltips within FC)

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Campaign to add language agnostic animated gifs to each FC command page on the wiki (+ possibly as tooltips within F

Post by Kunda1 »

ndf wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:14 pm Summing up previous users' doubts about GIFs:
  • Lack of controls (stop, pause etc)
  • Uncomfortable to use and dispersive (see above)
  • Difficult to translate
  • Might affect people with epilepsy
The idea is that this feature could be part of a 'Beginner mode' option.

Rebuttals:
Lack of controls (stop, pause etc) - the gif is smart enough to be simple and offers some sort of understanding what the command does. for more info the user will need to dig deeper. It's a teaser.

Uncomfortable to use and dispersive (see above) - user could disable the feature

Difficult to translate - hence the title of this forum thread has 'language agnostic' in it.

Might affect people with epilepsy - we make sure that gifs don't blink or flash at the user
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Campaign to add language agnostic animated gifs to each FC command page on the wiki (+ possibly as tooltips within F

Post by Kunda1 »

CC @MisterMaker What do you think about this effort ?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:32 pm CC @MisterMaker What do you think about this effort ?
Ok, although the animations was never my idea it is a good way for some simple features that need a specific clicking order.
For wiki it is probably just as good to embed video, although adding Youtube video isn't the best way to have a stable manual. the pro's are that the Youtuber gets some views and maybe make some money of it and this way is motivated to keep making updated video's.

For the tooltip I think it should be a <5 seconds clips no more.

Just my opinion, making icon theme's is super easy (although a lot of work) so everyone can try what they think is fun or best.
Add cats animations if you want that. :lol:
Think about it: hoover over a feature get cute puppy animation.
BEST FEATURE EVER.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi
MisterMaker wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:59 pm For the tooltip I think it should be a <5 seconds clips no more.
determine number image and stay the loop , the tooltip is finished if the user quit the button

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

If this ever makes it's way into master, please don't put the gifs on the main repo, it's absurdly huge to clone already and doesn't need any more binary file history.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:45 pm If this ever makes it's way into master, please don't put the gifs on the main repo, it's absurdly huge to clone already and doesn't need any more binary file history.
It would of course be in a separate addon repo.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Already worried about the massive amount of data that is going to be made.
I like your positivity. :lol:
I'd say it is an icon theme, or you get a message "download additional help files like animations?"
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Probably it is feasible to add some gifs that won't clutter the user.

It seems that this format is more taylored as it will appear as a normal PNG image if not supported by the viewer.

But according to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APNG

It is well supported by all browers now.

It seems from the specification that you could state a duration, so it will be possible to make some "slow motion" picture, with few frames to show maybe a sequence of actions, without having to use too much bandwidth and disk space.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I tested webM or webp yesterday and the quality compared to file size was pretty amazing.
But converting animations is often not so hard to`do. So lets worry about that later.