Campaign to add language agnostic animated gifs to each FC command page on the wiki (+ possibly as tooltips within FC)

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Campaign to add language agnostic animated gifs to each FC command page on the wiki (+ possibly as tooltips within F

Post by triplus »

Campaign to get somebody motivated is currently ongoing. I guest best if we first get some GIF/PNG/SVG/Video ... animated proposals. And to discuss things more in depth after.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Campaign to add language agnostic animated gifs to each FC command page on the wiki (+ possibly as tooltips within F

Post by Kunda1 »

I apologize, it was .gifv files used on sites like gfycat that lets you show the controls of the gif.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

triplus wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:54 am Campaign to get somebody motivated is currently ongoing. I guest best if we first get some GIF/PNG/SVG/Video ... animated proposals. And to discuss things more in depth after.
Hello,
I also come up against the problem of animated gifs, which are often too fast, and actually uncontrollable.
I used it in some of my posts by highlighting the duration of the first image to help identify the beginning of the gif :
(https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 92#p221192
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... &start=650
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=29794)
I even thought to add the word « Start » on this image.

In my work, I realized videos that stopped automatically on each important point, and which required a click to continue, leaving everyone the opportunity to evolve at their own pace. Unfortunately I could only save them in swf (usually excluded now browsers for security flaws) or in avi or mpeg (very heavy files).

Exemple (sorry, it is in french !) :
http://www.lyc-turgot.ac-limoges.fr/acc ... itacle.swf
So problem!
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jpg87 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:53 am In my work, I realized videos that stopped automatically on each important point, and which required a click to continue, leaving everyone the opportunity to evolve at their own pace.
I would like that! But I am afraid that animated gifs are the appropriate technique. It is very space consuming and for each segment you would need an own anim gif, with additional JavaScript code to rotate them.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

jpg87 wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:53 am I also come up against the problem of animated gifs, which are often too fast, and actually uncontrollable.
Your post i guess clearly show what can work good and what usually does not. Rather smallish animated GIF getting the message through in a second or two can work OK. Trying to do a tutorial with animated GIF on the other hand usually doesn't make much sense.

Therefore if somebody would invest the effort in the future and create a few high quality animations as seen on the image. Highly likely that could be reused somewhere. But as said the first step is for somebody to create a few high quality animations. After it makes sense to think about on how can we use it. As until somebody makes them the easiest thing is to say we don't need it and that is that. But usually when somebody does it. Things change and suddenly everybody is asking how to get more of that. ;) For example if we would have a few animations like in the attached example. Showing something a lot of (new) users ask about. Likely a lot less text and a lot more of image linking would be going on on forum. And i doubt anybody would complain all that much.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The animation shown here is in fact an example of a good animated gif. And it shows the difference between an animated gif and a video. The problem is if the technique of animated gifs is used for things that should better be put into a video.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Interesting solution to help with animated gifs, add an embedded progress bar for time orientation:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... on#p271039
https://github.com/lupoDharkael/flameshot/issues/415
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Is it time to relaunch this effort ?
I was thinking that it would be beneficial to also consider making gifs of each macro that FreeCAD offers via the Addon Manager
ndf

Post by ndf »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:41 pm Is it time to relaunch this effort ?
I was thinking that it would be beneficial to also consider making gifs of each macro that FreeCAD offers via the Addon Manager
Summing up previous users' doubts about GIFs:
  • Lack of controls (stop, pause etc)
  • Uncomfortable to use and dispersive (see above)
  • Difficult to translate
  • Might affect people with epilepsy
On a user's side, I think these are legit doubts, maybe short videos could be more suitable, along with step-by-step pictures.
This would allow those who don't want to watch videos/images (including me) to use a more traditional workflow, and at the same time, would allow "live" examples (but with built-in controls, captions support and no autoplay to solve the above problems) :D
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »