A3 assembly step based holes in the base

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
p.h.

A3 assembly step based holes in the base

Post by p.h. »

I am designing a metal sheet enclosure for an electronic device. It's my 1st FreeCad project, and even mechanic project at all, so I am lacking experience.
I've managed to design a draft of a bottom part of a sheet metal enclosure, where the electronics is to be mounted on (let's call it a base). I linked the base in the Assembly 3 and added some internals like power socket, battery and power supply (all STEPs).

Now my aim is to have holes in the linked base concentric with the mounting holes of the power supply (see green circles) and following their position. So I could move the power supply around in the assembly and still have the holes at the positions concentric with the supply's mounting holes. I've tried to use the Shape Binder tool on the power supply's mounting holes, and then upon them subtract cylinder, but got error informing that there is no base to subtract from. I've tried some other techniques, but so far all failed.

What is the proper (or the most convenient and robust) way of achieving the goal?

regards
przemhb
82jWnCprbb.png
82jWnCprbb.png (186.4 KiB) Viewed 968 times
FreeCad version info:
Windows 10 Version 2009
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2022.1128.26244 +5318 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: d45d221edcc7a757eb4e4eb638da0db5ed2759aa
Python version: 3.10.8
Qt version: 5.15.4
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.6.3
Locale: Polish/Poland (pl_PL)
catman

Re: A3 assembly step based holes in the base

Post by catman »

p.h. wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:43 pm What is the proper (or the most convenient and robust) way of achieving the goal?
This is not directly supported afaik and I think very complex to implement in a generic way. ShapeBinder is a good approach and also boolean subtraction.

At the end of is a solution that might help you this thread
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: A3 assembly step based holes in the base

Post by Kunda1 »

Moved to Assembly subforum
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs