Attachment extension

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mech_eng92

Attachment extension

Post by mech_eng92 »

Hi everyone,

first of all I'm pretty new to FreeCAD. I'am quite experienced in 3D modeling since im working maybe 80% of the time in my day job with 3D CAD programs.I figured, that FreeCAD suits me needs best for use in my free time. Lately I'm working on an assembly of a model steam engine.

But first of all this is my setup:
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.1.29410 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: f5d13554ecc7a456fb6e970568ae5c74ba727563
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Installed mods:
* Assembly4 0.12.4
* fasteners 0.4.23

I work in the assembly 4 workbench. I create seperate files for every part. Then i have a file which is my assembly file. I use the import part command to import the parts in my assembly and position them relative to the parent assemlby. There was a I did this for all non-moving parts of the steam engine.
Until this point I worked in an older Version of FreeCAD. (0.19something). Then I updated to the Version You can see above. And updated all the add_ons.

Now i wanted to proceed connecting the moving parts. For example the crankshaft.
And here comes my problem:

Somehow, without me knowing where I possibly changed a setting or something, I get a FreeCAD warning, when trying to either:
-
import part.PNG
import part.PNG (1.67 KiB) Viewed 876 times
"import part" as described after using the import part command or,
-
edit placement.PNG
edit placement.PNG (1.73 KiB) Viewed 876 times
trying to use the command "edit the placement of a part"

which says: (see sequence at the end)

I tried everything which came up to my mind.
- trying to create a new assembly and creating links to the files(parts) I already modeled.
- copying the parts in a new file and recreating the link

but everytime I somehow copy that attachement extension and can't figure how to delete it or get rid of it.

What worked was: Creating a new file and creating new parts within. There I was able to constrain the parts like before but as soon as I try to import a part which somehow got that attachement extension I get that warning.

Does anyone know how i possibly can use my modeled parts without running in that problem? Or how I need to edit them?

Sequence as follows:
named + addedassembly.PNG
named + addedassembly.PNG (137.77 KiB) Viewed 876 times
importpart, openpart.PNG
importpart, openpart.PNG (182.42 KiB) Viewed 876 times
warning1.PNG
warning1.PNG (212.01 KiB) Viewed 876 times
Thanks in advance.
Im looking foreward to your suggestions!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Attachment extension

Post by chrisb »

Moved from Help forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

mech_eng92 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:54 pm Until this point I worked in an older Version of FreeCAD. (0.19something). Then I updated to the Version You can see above. And updated all the add_ons.
ouch ! Do you remember whether the previous version was 0.11.5 ? Unfortunately, it had this bug and corrupted all the files that were *created* with it. If you only manipulated with that version then there was no problem, but all parts and bodies created with that version are corrupt. I didn't find a solution to repair them, sorry.

This bug is documented in the Assembly4 Read-Me:

Important Note: version v0.11.5 had a hidden nasty bug that also corrupted the parts that were created with it. Unfortunately, these parts cannot be automatically fixed, they must be re-created. Only parts created with v0.11.5 are affected, not those that where merely used with it.
If this is your case, I'm really sorry, you must re-create those parts.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
mech_eng92

Post by mech_eng92 »

First of all thank you for your quick answer @Zolko!
Well my situation improved a little bit since I do know now that the problem wasn't necessarily my fault. The greatest part of finding the solution is understanding what the problem is...and the second time (modeling) is alwasys faster : :roll: :lol:

Thank you!