Assembly 3 - Can't make links

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
LawnDart

Assembly 3 - Can't make links

Post by LawnDart »

Been tring for 6 hours this morning to learn how to make an assembly. Found that A2+ will not work for me. Been fighting A3 and can't get links to work. All the videos and documents show things that are impossible. The main thing is that they show to drag and drop parts into the assembly. I can't drag parts in the tree. If I click on make link it adds a "Link" to the tree both no parts in the assembly.

I tried following the example but can't get it to add part to assembly. https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Assembly3_Workbench

How do you add parts to an assembly? Why is there no button or command to add part or sub-assembly file?

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * A2plus 0.4.56a
  * Assembly3 0.11.3
  * Assembly4 0.12.3
  * fasteners 0.3.50
  * sheetmetal 0.2.56
  * ToolbarStyle
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Assembly 3 - Can't make links

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Assembly Forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

LawnDart wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:33 pm if I click on make link it adds a "Link" to the tree
...just like it should.

Links (Link objects) are like 3D images of objects located within other dokuments. If you don't model and assemble all geometry in one document, links are the objects to assemble in a separate document.

If you are at the point where a document containing an Assembly object and two or more Link objects, it is time to drag and drop the Link objects onto the Parts container within the Assembly object. (In my memory you could drop onto the Assembly object as well, but this is not working at the moment. Maybe this is shown in some videos ot tutorials and is confusing these days.)

With the Link objects in the Parts container you can start to apply constraints.
LawnDart

Post by LawnDart »

...just like it should.
The "link" shows in the tree but no objects are in the assembly. In the properties the Linked Object is blank.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

No file, no picture? You make it hard for anyone to give you some help...