Help using Assembly3 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bambuko
Veteran

Re: Help using Assembly3 workbench

Post by bambuko »

MikeM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:25 pm ... sub class is just an ordinary assembly which becomes a subclass by the fact its contained in a higher assembly...
yes

MikeM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:25 pm ...You use the constaint assembly to attach the legs to the rail...
I use "Attachment" constraint

MikeM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:25 pm ...which is as I would expect, when I do this the attachment is at the centre of the rail...
correct

MikeM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:25 pm ... how do you align the leg at exactly the end of the rail...
as per my post ;)
elements were "flipped" to get correct orientation of the legs and were "offset" to align edges as you wanted.

MikeM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:25 pm ....I can drag it to the end but this is inexact as I have to zoom out to see the drag controls, when I zoom in to see the junction the controls are off the ecreen...
wrong idea :D

MikeM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:25 pm ...when I resolve constaints the leg snaps bck to the middle of the rail ...
correct

MikeM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:25 pm ....how do I weld it in place...
it is "welded" in place (that's what "Attachment" constraint does) - just the place is wrong.
use element offset

MikeM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:25 pm .... I tried plane alignment on the front of the leg and end of the rail, but just got an error...
using "Attachment" constraint will leave you with 0 degrees of freedom
trying additional constraint is an error

MikeM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:25 pm ...there must be way to hold it in place by removing the remaining degrees of freedom...
there are no "remaining" degrees of freedom left after you "attach" two parts

MikeM wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:25 pm ...For even the relative few items want to put together the tree wil get very large, is there any way to keep it managable
I don't use assembly workbench for "everything"
I use it selectively, where appropriate.
For example in your case I would use part placement to get it right rather than assembly workbench.

Who needs assembly workbench for simple stuff :mrgreen:
cnc_frame_subass.FCStd
(38.64 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Screenshot from 2022-06-15 08.21.17.png
Screenshot from 2022-06-15 08.21.17.png (71.69 KiB) Viewed 748 times

create the frame using placement as a subassembly (but without assembly workbench)
and use it later in a larger assembly (with assembly workbench if needed)
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Well! that explains a lot, no wonder it wasn't working. I recon I will use PartDesign workbench to create the frame, gantry and Z axis and then use assembly3 to bring the components together and animate them.

I still don't understand why you need to flip the joined elements?
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

MikeM wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:25 pm .... I recon I will use PartDesign workbench to create the frame, gantry and Z axis and then use assembly3 to bring the components together and animate them....
that is exactly what I would do :mrgreen:
MikeM wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:25 pm ...still don't understand why you need to flip the joined elements?
you only need to "flip" them if they end up wrong way round...
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Got a good start, thenks for the help. Here is what the basic frame looks like - easy when you find the right approach.
Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (164.81 KiB) Viewed 652 times
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

MikeM wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:23 am ...easy when you find the right approach.
:mrgreen: and now this whole thing can be a sub assembly to be used in top level assembly with other external components.
yeap...