Finding the source of a console error in an Assembly4 Project

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Finding the source of a console error in an Assembly4 Project

Post by wmayer »

What would you think of:
Sounds ok to me.
a.l

Post by a.l »

Zolko wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:59 pm
a.l wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:35 pm Inside a Part (Std_Part / Asm4_newPart) we have these Local Coordinate Systems (LCS) that lie outside of the Bodies.
These LCS link e.g. to sketch lines inside a body, but are used outside of the Part in an Assembly 4 assembly.
hold-on: this should not happen. If you want to use Bodies as parts, you can do that directly, no need to wrap it inside a Part since a long time. You should use Bodies inside Parts only if you really need it, like when you do multi-body things. Or if you use Parts directly (from a STEP import for example).
Thanks! Good to know!
The reason why I place bodies inside parts is to have them placed in the Parts group (Std_Group) that is created by default, when you create a new assembly. (I normally only use PartDesign and Sketches).

Unrelated to the current topic I am going to "try" to make a patch to Assembly 4 re. configurations (I hope you will like the idea), but I will wait to present the idea until it is more ready. And no - I am not going to change the configuration spreadsheet or its content - so do not worry! :)
But re. the patch/the idea there is a very good use case of using the Parts group of an assembly.
Also when the time comes I will try to write some guide lines when to use the Parts group, when to use an individual file for a Part, when to use an assembly&Variables etc.
Some people might need some very basic introduction re. what they can achieve re. which tactic they choose.

Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

a.l wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:35 pm The reason why I place bodies inside parts is to have them placed in the Parts group (Std_Group)
This should also work with Bodies alone, did you try ? If not, it's a bug and please report (admittedly, the documentation is out of date, sorry for that)
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
a.l

Post by a.l »

Zolko wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:39 pm
a.l wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:35 pm The reason why I place bodies inside parts is to have them placed in the Parts group (Std_Group)
This should also work with Bodies alone, did you try ? If not, it's a bug and please report (admittedly, the documentation is out of date, sorry for that)
Just tried it out with Assembly 4 version 0.12.0.
Seems to work just fine! Thanks :)
Re. the idea I have - it will take some time, because I will have to dive into your code to understand e.g. Asm4_objects.py. But I think it will be fun, because I really need that feature (and as mentioned I will re-use some of the stuff Assembly 4 already uses).

Cheers!