Assembly 3 : Plane Alignment problems

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mikeosaurus

Re: Assembly 3 : Plane Alignment problems

Post by Mikeosaurus »

bambuko wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:54 pm
Mikeosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:06 pm Is there some magic trick to not having things suddenly jumble all over the place?
still trying to untangle your files ;)
but one thing is clear (as far as magic trick is concerned) - where is your "Locked" constraint????
You have to start assembly by locking first assembly part, so that everything else is constrained to it.
Ahhh... is that the "trick"?

Maybe I need to rebuild, but start with something basic like the first sponge-bracket, and lock a surface of it in place with the ASM3 "Locked Constraint"?
Locked.png
Locked.png (2.81 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Mikeosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:04 pm Maybe I need to rebuild, but start with something basic like the first sponge-bracket, and lock a surface of it in place with the ASM3 "Locked Constraint"?
That would be a good plan :mrgreen:
I am waiting for results....
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Mikeosaurus

Post by Mikeosaurus »

bambuko wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:14 pm
Mikeosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:04 pm Maybe I need to rebuild, but start with something basic like the first sponge-bracket, and lock a surface of it in place with the ASM3 "Locked Constraint"?
That would be a good plan :mrgreen:
I am waiting for results....
I'm on it... will post back in an hour when I've re-built :)
Mikeosaurus

Post by Mikeosaurus »

Whole new weird problems now... keeping trying...
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Mikeosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:36 pm .. keeping trying...
:ugeek: I am sure you will get there...
I assume? you are familiar with:
http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/02_ass_ind.php
it is very good!
Mikeosaurus

Post by Mikeosaurus »

bambuko wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:07 pm
Mikeosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:36 pm .. keeping trying...
:ugeek: I am sure you will get there...
I assume? you are familiar with:
http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/02_ass_ind.php
it is very good!
Thanks, I have seen that link before... but maybe a year or so back... maybe I need to re-study it or do some tutorials.

For the life of me, I can't figure how in this Vacuum assembly, to move the blower and its bracket without the holes moving or weird stuff happening...

I think I'm gonna throw the towel in and go back to a single file with part references, and manually place them all by eye :(.
Attachments
Export.zip
(312.92 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Mikeosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:35 pm ... maybe I need to re-study it or do some tutorials.
unfortunately the initial investment in time and learning is high for things like this.
there are no shortcuts :oops:

Mikeosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:35 pm For the life of me, I can't figure how in this Vacuum assembly, to move the blower and its bracket without the holes moving or weird stuff happening...
they should be two separate sub-assemblies, or else they all move together...
on the other hand it could some silly nonsense with sub-shape binders...

Mikeosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:35 pm I think I'm gonna throw the towel in and go back to a single file with part references, and manually place them all by eye :(.
nonsense, it can be done easily,
you might have to wait for me to have time for it though...

P.S.
couple of comments:
- if you attaching new version of file, give it a different name, otherwise it is confusing
- give meaningful names to your elements and constraints, it's hard work when they are all called "element***" for example
Mikeosaurus

Post by Mikeosaurus »

Wait... what? Separate sub assemblies?

Can you have assemblies of assemblies? And then constrain between them? Assembly of random blobs... another assembly of blobs... constrain the whole assembly against the other (by one surface in each)?

Oh fffff....

Ah nevermind, I've gone back to not using ASM3 for now... In 30 mins I've got to where I've spent 7+ hours today being frustrated over.

I think with this only being one hobby (amongst 3D printing, CNC'ing, and electronics), plus having an unrelated job... I'm wondering if I simply don't have enough time to learn (and remember) the intricacies of ASM3, and maybe I should just stick to linking in other parts and manually moving them for now. It's really frustrating. I mean... a year ago I designed this... https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=57153... which used ASM3... and now here I am trying something more basic and it's just... gone from my head. :(.

I do appreciate your effort though, feel free to drop me a paypal link PM and I'll buy you a beer for trying to help out :).
Given Up.png
Given Up.png (281.51 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Mikeosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:43 pm Can you have assemblies of assemblies? And then constrain between them? ...
yes ;)

Mikeosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:43 pm ...I've gone back to not using ASM3 for now...
fair enough...

Mikeosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:43 pm ... feel free to drop me a paypal link PM and I'll buy you a beer for trying to help out :)...
jolly British of you :lol: to offer, but no need
I subscribe to philosophy of Paying it forward (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_it_forward)
I wouldn't be where I am today with FreeCAD, without a whole bunch of guys helping me in the past.
Me trying to help you is my way of paying back a debt I owe those who have helped me,
plus it is great way of improving my skills.
That's enough for me.