What causes "inconsistent constraints" in Assembly3?

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bambuko
Veteran

Re: What causes "inconsistent constraints" in Assembly3?

Post by bambuko »

ToniTen wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:39 am I do face the same issue from time to time. I have yet to find a good solution:
How about this...
assign a construction line from the centre of the motor to a datum/zero hole
do the same for the mount
Like so (and the same for the mounting plate):
element.png
element.png (233.63 KiB) Viewed 689 times
and use plane coincident (as you already do) and follow with multiparallel constraint for the two construction lines.
That means that even with motor and mounting plate coming from two different sources, as long as you assign the line orientating one hole for the motor and one for the mount than you can use this motor repeatedly in differently orientated mounting plates
Below, before (and notice different orientation of motor and mounting plate) and after pictures:
before.png
before.png (171.95 KiB) Viewed 699 times
after.png
after.png (189.89 KiB) Viewed 699 times
and yes, the holes are aligned :mrgreen:
aligned.png
aligned.png (209.02 KiB) Viewed 699 times
and a file:
motor_mounting.FCStd
(58.85 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

bambuko wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:07 pm How about this...
assign a construction line from the centre of the motor to a datum/zero hole
do the same for the mount
Like so (and the same for the mounting plate):
and use plane coincident (as you already do) and follow with multiparallel constraint for the two construction lines.
That means that even with motor and mounting plate coming from two different sources, as long as you assign the line orientating one hole for the motor and one for the mount than you can use this motor repeatedly in differently orientated mounting plates
Thanks a lot, I had never thought about creating elements out of the sketches (and not out of generated geometry), that seems like an ironclad way to make sure the TNP doesn't bite you in the backside.

Now, the sketches you used were sketches used to generate the models, and so were part of the bodies. I assume that if I had to use say a motor from a STEP file and an adapter plate from another STEP file, then I would have no other option than to place the sketches on the corresponding faces right? since they're not parametric, they should have no issues with the TNP. Of course, if I needed to do operations on the solids imported from STEP, I could always use them as a base feature for a body...

Thanks again, I will retire to experiment.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

ToniTen wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:23 pm ....I had never thought about creating elements out of the sketches...
Assembly 3 is very flexible :mrgreen:

ToniTen wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:23 pmI assume that if I had to use say a motor from a STEP file and an adapter plate from another STEP file, then I would have no other option than to place the sketches on the corresponding faces right? ...
Yes, I would use base feature and create a body
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here