Cannot select external geometry

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
exsolvespacer

Cannot select external geometry

Post by exsolvespacer »

In the attached file, I open Sketch048 and find that it is impossible to select any external geometry. What am I doing wrong?

Sometimes FreeCAD crashes when I open Sketch048. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.
problem.FCStd
(90.43 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Problem.png
Problem.png (83.05 KiB) Viewed 2349 times

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2022.111.28429 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkStage3
Hash: ec814c42d02f15171f9dbb7f650400c9943abfe0
C4e

Re: Cannot select external geometry

Post by C4e »

exsolvespacer wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:43 pm What am I doing wrong?
Maybe nothing, but I've learnd to activate a Body first. -> double click the Body to activate it.

Then open Sketch 48 and use External geometry function and copy external geometry. This works for all Pads, the Fillet and the Pockets in your file. The Pocket 'Pocket-enlarge-tractor-rope-slot' is the current one and can't be used as External geometry. ;)
Attachments
external geometry.png
external geometry.png (91.1 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Activating the body shouldn't be necessary. As C4e said, you have probably tried to reference the Pad Pocket-enlarge-tractor-rope-slot itself. Although it is currently the same as its predecessor, you cannot reference anything from it.

Although you use the Link branch which suffers less from the TNP, I recommend nevertheless to reference Sketches and not solids. That would avoid the problem you are facing altogether.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Problem is the last pocket.
It is pocketing nothing from the body, hence you are not allowed to do external geometry.
Operator error indeed.
Edit the last pocket, delete the last pocket or else and everything is back to normal ;)

Screenshot from 2022-03-10 20.47.14.png
Screenshot from 2022-03-10 20.47.14.png (59.05 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
exsolvespacer

Post by exsolvespacer »

Shame that it doesn't automatically select a body when you select a sketch. Thanks for spotting this operator error. :-)

I'll aim to reference sketches (by making them individually visible first?) in future rather than bodies.

I think it is confusing that the result from the last pocket is visible despite me editing the sketch from that pocket so I will not feel guilty about that. :-)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

exsolvespacer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:57 am Shame that it doesn't automatically select a body when you select a sketch.
It does so in master.
(by making them individually visible first?)
yes
I think it is confusing that the result from the last pocket is visible despite me editing the sketch from that pocket so I will not feel guilty about that. :-)
You can control the visibility in Preferences>Sketcher>Display
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
exsolvespacer

Post by exsolvespacer »

chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:19 am It does so in master.
Do you mean the RT branch or the main branch?
chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:19 am You can control the visibility in Preferences>Sketcher>Display
Ah, I see the setting "Show objects that the sketch is attached to" which I have disabled. Thanks.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

exsolvespacer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:23 am
We call it master, you call it main branch. It's not really a branch; it's, well, master.
exsolvespacer

Post by exsolvespacer »

chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:36 am
exsolvespacer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:23 am
We call it master, you call it main branch. It's not really a branch; it's, well, master.
Understood, but basically this is fixed in the "normal" branch of FreeCAD that most people use.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

exsolvespacer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:57 am Shame that it doesn't automatically select a body when you select a sketch. Thanks for spotting this operator error. :-)

I'll aim to reference sketches (by making them individually visible first?) in future rather than bodies.

You totally misunderstood what I was saying :lol:
I guess my fault - was never very good at explaining...

Your last pocket is corrupted. You have pocketed it in a wrong direction, resulting in no pocket.
"result from the last pocket" is NOT visible
I have shown it by editing the pocket (which in RT makes it visible) to demonstrate the error.
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here