Placement Tools workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
VyacheslavKlipov

Placement Tools workbench

Post by VyacheslavKlipov »

Hello. I present to you my workbench for pseudo-assembly Placement Tools. This workbench allows you to quickly position an object or a group of objects relative to each other. Positioning objects becomes like a game of cubes. Download link: https://github.com/VyacheslavKlipov/PlacementTools.

The capabilities of the workbench are demonstrated here:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Kunda1 on Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added video tags
VyacheslavKlipov

Re: Placement Tools workbench

Now I am translating the workbench into English, but I will not be able to make a video review in English. I would be very grateful if someone can help. You can now watch the video with English subtitles
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

VyacheslavKlipov wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:07 pm Now I am translating the workbench into English, but I will not be able to make a video review in English. I would be very grateful if someone can help. You can now watch the video with English subtitles
Indeed, the auto-subtitles work great. Thanks for translating the workbench. I will say that, I forget now which clip i watched, but i didn't fully understand what buttons you were clicking on to get the results you were getting.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

VyacheslavKlipov wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:10 pm Hello. I present to you my workbench for pseudo-assembly Placement Tools. This workbench allows you to quickly position an object or a group of objects relative to each other.
this looks a lot like the Manipulator workbench. What's the difference to it ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
VyacheslavKlipov

Zolko wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:18 am
this looks a lot like the Manipulator workbench. What's the difference to it ?
My workbench is not based on manipulator code. I went my own way. I am inspired by the ease of positioning objects in SketchUp. I strive to do better.
VyacheslavKlipov

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:03 pm
Indeed, the auto-subtitles work great. Thanks for translating the workbench. I will say that, I forget now which clip i watched, but i didn't fully understand what buttons you were clicking on to get the results you were getting.
Despite the lack of translation, you can focus on the icons of the buttons when positioning. Basic ideas for selecting objects: 1) First select what to move, then where. 2) If you select several objects, then when you press the move point to point button, the penultimate object will be moved to the last one, all other objects will repeat the trajectory of the penultimate one. If you click the align or arrange objects button, all selected objects will be aligned to the last one. 3) In those tools where you need a selected point, you can select it directly, if you select an edge, then the point of the center of the edge will be taken, if you select a circle, then its center will be taken, if you select a surface, then its center of mass will be taken. This behavior is logical and convenient.
Last edited by VyacheslavKlipov on Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

VyacheslavKlipov wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:03 pm
Zolko wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:18 am this looks a lot like the Manipulator workbench. What's the difference to it ?
My workbench is not based on manipulator code
my question was about the functionality: both workbenches seem to do the same thing. Did you consider testing and improving the Manipulator WB ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
VyacheslavKlipov

Zolko wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:59 pm my question was about the functionality: both workbenches seem to do the same thing. Did you consider testing and improving the Manipulator WB ?
I can't really answer this question because I don't use the manipulator. I tried it a long time ago. My workbench was originally a block game for an eight year old kid. Then it became a full-fledged positioning tool, which is based on the idea of ​​cubes. I myself use it to build various mechanisms.
Perhaps the manipulator is more functional, but my workbench is simple.
VyacheslavKlipov

I made it multilingual!