[Solved] Help for using the Assembly 4 "Configurations" tool

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Alex76

Re: Help for using the Assembly 4 "Configurations" tool

Post by Alex76 »

Zolko wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:13 pm
Alex76 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:34 am any news about? I'd like to use your idea, using two configurations for exploded chart...
I've released a new version (0.11.9) that fixes this I think. Could-you please update and test ?
Thanks for the update, I replied in the other main "assembly4" thread... sorry for the drawback.. should I report my test here also??

Anyway, now the Configuration panel seem to work properly, but only for the "Visibility" attribute because the others attributes in the columns of sheet doesn't be filled with any values or formula.. attacched the screenshot test project

May be I'm little confused with the main available features of this tool?
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (69.64 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Alex76 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:10 am Anyway, now the Configuration panel seem to work properly, but only for the "Visibility" attribute because the others attributes in the columns of sheet doesn't be filled with any values or formula.. attacched the screenshot test project
Configurations will record 2 things: visibilities for each object, and the placement of each object. There are 2 options for this latter: if the object is attached as per Asm4, then the AttachmentOffset is recorded, if the object is placed manually then the real Placement is recorded.

The use-case is to make exploded views for documentation, or if you have a vessel that you want to show/hide when working inside the vessel. The main use-case is to make assembly manuals like with Legos, where you make your full assembly, and then create a configuration for each step showing only the relevant parts for that step, and showing some parts offset from their real final position. A configuration records the current active assembly state, but you can also alter the parameters manually. Configurations do not descend into sub-assemblies.

Does that make sense ?

Variables are not yet stored in the current implementation, but it's foreseen
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Alex76

Post by Alex76 »

Zolko wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:51 am
Alex76 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:10 am Anyway, now the Configuration panel seem to work properly, but only for the "Visibility" attribute because the others attributes in the columns of sheet doesn't be filled with any values or formula.. attacched the screenshot test project
Configurations will record 2 things: visibilities for each object, and the placement of each object. There are 2 options for this latter: if the object is attached as per Asm4, then the AttachmentOffset is recorded, if the object is placed manually then the real Placement is recorded.

The use-case is to make exploded views for documentation, or if you have a vessel that you want to show/hide when working inside the vessel. The main use-case is to make assembly manuals like with Legos, where you make your full assembly, and then create a configuration for each step showing only the relevant parts for that step, and showing some parts offset from their real final position. A configuration records the current active assembly state, but you can also alter the parameters manually. Configurations do not descend into sub-assemblies.

Does that make sense ?

Variables are not yet stored in the current implementation, but it's foreseen
Yes, does make sense... I think this's the goal of this features, just for making assembly pictures guide or something similar.

Anyway still be a problem in a new project I made, as I write before no values are recorded for Pos.X and so on, only visibility attribute is recorded.
In my project I made to simple parts with two LCS, then:
- inserted two parts in the main Assembly
- attacched to the "Parent Assembly"
- made a first configuration "assembly"
- then change the "Attacchment offset" manually in on of the two parts
- changed the visibility of the other parts to false
- saved a second configuration "disassembled"
and that's the error, no position recorded! Where does I make the error?
Currently I'm using "Link3 branch" of Freecad, but it seems to be the same with freecad official.

May be useful if you write simples steps, as a simple tutorial, for the correct way of doing this operation.
Thanks
Attachments
Test.FCStd
(16.44 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Alex76 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:30 am and that's the error, no position recorded! Where does I make the error?
there seems to be a remaining mistake somewhere. I think it's fixed in the development branch. Do you know how to use the development branch ?

https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_As ... evelopment
Alex76

Post by Alex76 »

Zolko wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:15 am
Alex76 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:30 am and that's the error, no position recorded! Where does I make the error?
there seems to be a remaining mistake somewhere. I think it's fixed in the development branch. Do you know how to use the development branch ?

https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_As ... evelopment
Sorry, no I dont' know how to use the development branch of your mod... download entire ZIP and decompress in the MOD assembly4 folder??
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Alex76 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:15 am Sorry, no I dont' know how to use the development branch of your mod
there is a new version that should correct this. I'm not sure how much it solves all the issues, can you also please check by making new configurations ?
FCuser2019

Post by FCuser2019 »

Hello Zolko,
sorry for the absence from the topic due to various problems.
I installed the new version 0.11.10, created a new assembly from scratch and now the Configuration Tool seems to work as expected.
Thanks for the fix :)

Thanks also to Alex76 for the tests :)
Alex76

Post by Alex76 »

Zolko wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:04 pm
Alex76 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:15 am Sorry, no I dont' know how to use the development branch of your mod
there is a new version that should correct this. I'm not sure how much it solves all the issues, can you also please check by making new configurations ?
Thanks for the correction, as FCuser2019 says it should now be function properly... I'll test this evening anyway, but I think should be fine now.
FCuser2019 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:02 am Hello Zolko,
sorry for the absence from the topic due to various problems.
I installed the new version 0.11.10, created a new assembly from scratch and now the Configuration Tool seems to work as expected.
Thanks for the fix :)

Thanks also to Alex76 for the tests :)
Not a problem, that's the spirit of the forums... catch and solve issues. 8-)
FCuser2019

Post by FCuser2019 »

Hello, here is an assembly example that demonstrates how the Configuration Tool works as expected:

assembled.png
assembled.png (49.71 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

exploded.png
exploded.png (69.24 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

I'm changing the topic title by adding [Solved].
Attachments
Assembly_AB.FCStd
(534.79 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Part_A.FCStd
(15.75 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Part_B.FCStd
(12.49 KiB) Downloaded 55 times