Assembly2

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vejmarie

Assembly2

Post by vejmarie »

Hi,

I know that is deprecated and not used anymore, but with our switch to python 3 the module was not working anymore, and this has put some stress on me regarding some projects I made with it. I have made a quick port to python 3 which seems to work (at least it can open some of my "old" files). Is there any interest to publish it, or do you prefer that I dropped that idea which could make believe that there is a revival of the project which is definitly not my intend. I just wanted to be able to open my old stuff with latest version of my build on Mac (python 3 and Qt5)

vejmarie
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Assembly2

Post by chrisb »

There have been some questions about this here in the forum, so it would be welcome if you publish it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

Could looks like crazy, but how can I do it ? I got the source code, but I must admit I never package a module ;). Can somebody point me out to a small howto. I can publish it on my github otherwise but this is not going to replace the one that people can download

[edit] ok I found where it is hosted. But it looks like that hamish doesn't integrate new PR to the github tree of the project ? Do I do a fork of it, and host it on my github repo and point out the link from our package manager to my repo ? Or is there a hint somewhere that I am missing ?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

vejmarie wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:21 pm [edit] ok I found where it is hosted. But it looks like that hamish doesn't integrate new PR to the github tree of the project ? Do I do a fork of it, and host it on my github repo and point out the link from our package manager to my repo ? Or is there a hint somewhere that I am missing ?
it seems that @Hamish has recently integrated some PR in Drawing dimensioning...
https://github.com/hamish2014/FreeCAD_d ... its/master
so, probably, he could merge you PR into A2 too.
hamish wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:13 am ping
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

Good, let me give it a try then !
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

vejmarie wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:23 pm ...
Is there any interest to publish it, or do you prefer that I dropped that idea which could make believe that there is a revival of the project which is definitly not my intend.
I think you should definitely make a pull request. However, Hamish should emphasize in his repo that no new functionality is being developed, and that users should probably migrate to A2plus.

However, I haven't seen Hamish regularly in the forums for a long time, and yours isn't the only pull request in the queue. If Hamish doesn't react quickly, I think the sensible thing to do is to redirect the FreeCAD-addons repo to look at your Assembly2 fork, instead of Hamish's.

Code: Select all

Addon Manager ---> FreeCAD-Addon ---> assembly2 ---> hamish's repo
                                                ---> vejmarie's repo
In this case, you'd become the "maintainer". This doesn't mean you have to fix many problems, just that somebody is there to monitor the repo until Assembly2 is truly obsoleted and removed from FreeCAD-addons.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

It has been merged by hamish2014 ;)