Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by Zolko »

dan-miel wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:26 pm FreeCAD 18 shows the Assembly 4 program but FC19 does not show it. It did show up once when I had put both files into both Mod directories but after I removed the file from the FC19 directory it has not shown up again.
thanks. So it's more a question of where tu put the workbench directories than an Asm4 problem first. May I ask you to try the following:

1) when you put the Mod_Asm4 directory in #1 (D:/Applications/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-asm3_v0.10.2/Mod) only, does the Asssembly 4 workbench show in FC19-asm3 ?
2) when you put the Mod_Asm4 directory in both locations (D:/Applications/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-asm3_v0.10.2/Mod and C:/Users/zhubert/AppData/Roaming/FreeCAD/Mod) do you see it in FC19-asm3 ?
3) When you see the Assembly4 workbench, did you try to open some of the example files ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
mfasano

Post by mfasano »

I had the same problem as dan-miel with windows 10 and found if I moved mod-asm4 directory in the mod folder of the regular Freecad distribution it shows in Realthunders branch.
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

The two paths I have for Mod folders are:
1: C:\FreeCAD-asm3-Win64-Py3-Qt5-20190703\Mod
2: C:\Users\dan-m\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod

I have not been able to get Assembly 4 to show again, it doesn't make a difference if the asm4 folder is in #1 or #2 location. I did notice that a couple of other workbenches showed in FC 18 but not in 19, these were Assembly 2 and GDT. I'll attach those folders although I couldn't see what would make a difference. The assembly 2 folder was to large to attach so I attached the InitGui file, there was not a Init file.
I hope the picture will give you enough info about my directories.
Dan Miel
The one time I did get Assembly4 to show I did not open any files.
Attachments
InitGui.zip
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
GDT.zip
(157.86 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
dif mod folders.jpg
dif mod folders.jpg (71.49 KiB) Viewed 26781 times
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

mfasano wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:45 pm I had the same problem as dan-miel with windows 10 and found if I moved mod-asm4 directory in the mod folder of the regular Freecad distribution it shows in Realthunders branch.
dan-miel wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:37 pm 2: C:\Users\dan-m\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod
a couple of other workbenches showed in FC 18 but not in 19, these were Assembly 2 and GDT.
So I think it's safe to conclude that the standard FreeCAD Mod directory (C:\Users\dan-m\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod for you) is the good place to put Mod_Asm4. Since you seem to do everything correctly, my I suggest you remove Mod_Asm4 entirely from that .../Mod directory, and replace it with a freshly downloaded Asm4 ? (remember to extract first and then move/copy Mod_Asm4) May-be something got corrupted in all the manipulations.

Can-you post here the ZIP of the Mod_Asm4 directory that you have currently in C:\Users\dan-m\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod ?
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

Zolko wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:47 pm Can-you post here the ZIP of the Mod_Asm4 directory that you have currently in C:\Users\dan-m\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod ?
Here is the folder. I 'll start redownloading.
Dan
Attachments
Dans Mod_Asm4.zip
(77.28 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

dan-miel wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:31 pm Here is the folder. I 'll start redownloading.
there is one file more: asm4wb_locator.pyc (which is the Python bytecode of asm4wb_locator.py). Don't know whether that makes the difference. May-be you can try to delete that file and start FreeCAD-asm3 again ?
Dan_Mod_Asm4.png
Dan_Mod_Asm4.png (338.13 KiB) Viewed 26744 times
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

Zolko wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:47 pm I suggest you remove Mod_Asm4 entirely from that .../Mod directory, and replace it with a freshly downloaded Asm4 ?
Done. I restarted machine, again. didn't make any difference.
Zolko wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:42 pm there is one file more: asm4wb_locator.pyc (which is the Python bytecode of asm4wb_locator.py). Don't know whether that makes the difference. May-be you can try to delete that file and start FreeCAD-asm3 again ?
Deleting the file did not make a difference in FC 19. In FC 18, Assembly4 disappeared from the dropdown until I put the file back, then it reappeared.
I you have any other straws I'll try them, otherwise I think I will remove all Python and FC versions and reload with just FC 19 and Assy4.
Thanks for your time. Dan
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

dan-miel wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:03 pm I you have any other straws I'll try them, otherwise I think I will remove all Python and FC versions and reload with just FC 19 and Assy4.
I must admit that I've reached my level of incompetence, I'm sorry I can't help more. Yes, doing a fresh install is probably the only other possibility I see. May-be removing the C:\Users\dan-m\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod directory entirely, starting FreeCAD-asm3, installing the SheetMetal workbench from the addons manager (which should re-create that directory) and putting a fresh Mod_Asm4 there ?

Alternatively, burning 13 black candles positioned on a pentacle wouldn't be less scientific.
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

Zolko wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:48 pm Alternatively, burning 13 black candles positioned on a pentacle wouldn't be less scientific.
Zolko. I'm sometimes I'm slow and other times I'm slower. I opened the Report panel and these error message were there. Do they help at all?

During initialization the error "inconsistent use of tabs and spaces in indentation (<string>, line 48)" occurred in C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\GDT\InitGui.py
Please look into the log file for further information
During initialization the error "'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x90 in position 1510: character maps to <undefined>" occurred in C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\Mod_Asm4\InitGui.py

I'm not sure where the log file is otherwise I would have sent it.
Dan
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

dan-miel wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:31 am
During initialization the error "'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x90 in position 1510: character maps to <undefined>" occurred in C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\Mod_Asm4\InitGui.py
that's a Windows/Python/Unicode error. The file does specify

Code: Select all

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
but stupid Python/Windows still can't handle it. Apparently it's a Python console font thing. And I don't know where the log file is.

Can you please try to replace the InitGui.py file in Mod_Asm4 with the one attached ? I use some nice frames for comments in my code, in the attached one I removed them:

Code: Select all

"""
    ╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════╗
    ║            Initialize the workbench           ║
    ╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════╝
"""
Attachments
InitGui.py
(4.34 KiB) Downloaded 137 times