Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
s-light

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by s-light »

hasecilu wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:08 am I'm using a Link to make various copies of one fastener
i just played around with this..
(zip in attachment)
assembly__linkarray__tree.png
assembly__linkarray__tree.png (69.81 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
it works when you do it this way:
- create screw
- create link (in parts group)
- set link count 2
- drag drop the two sub-links into the assembly container
- select Link_i0 in Assembly and Click on Image
- select your target LCS
- done :-)

good think i had motivation to jsut try it and test out Asm4 ;-)
thanks for the motivation :lol:

sunny greetings
stefan
Attachments
Asm4_links_Attached.zip
(728.63 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
FCuser2019

Post by FCuser2019 »

Haavard wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:41 pm
Thanks for reporting, here is the fix.
Zolko wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:57 am new version released today[/url] (v0.11.11)
Time for a v0.11.12 :oops:
Thanks for the fix :)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Haavard wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:41 pm
Zolko wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:57 am new version released today (v0.11.11)
Time for a v0.11.12
done, thank-you, can you please check that the regression has been fixed ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

Zolko wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:40 pm done, thank-you, can you please check that the regression has been fixed ?
Works as expected for me at least :) Thanks for the fast update!
mcdanlj

Post by mcdanlj »

hasecilu wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:08 am This "forget the Assembly4 way" is because I'm using a Link to make various copies of one fastener (because I don't want to manually change the parameters to every fastener).
Ah!

I don't know what I did wrong the first time I tried to move my fasteners into the Parts collection, but I must have dropped them in the wrong place. I now have it working.

In my case it seemed easier to set up a separate LCS for every location. Probably because I'm a novice. But it worked and animated correctly. Thank you!
mcdanlj

Post by mcdanlj »

mcdanlj wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:03 am I don't know what I did wrong the first time I tried to move my fasteners into the Parts collection, but I must have dropped them in the wrong place. I now have it working.

In my case it seemed easier to set up a separate LCS for every location. Probably because I'm a novice. But it worked and animated correctly.

I finally realized that all the hardware that is supposed to move with a part should just be a separate body in the part it moves with. I have some inconsistencies in my model from exploring different options, but since I presented an earlier version, I thought I'd share what I got to so far in case it helps another neophyte like myself.

I used the realthunder build for this, and the current model is attached.
cutter.gif
cutter.gif (712.59 KiB) Viewed 4271 times
Attachments
KeywayCutter.FCStd
(560.73 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

mcdanlj wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:18 pm I finally realized that all the hardware that is supposed to move with a part should just be a separate body in the part it moves with.
this is true if you want all your assembly in a single document. This is actually a particularity of FreeCAD, no other CAD package allows you to do this. Another approach would make you put all the hardware moving together in a sub-assembly in a separate file, and make the assembly from those sub-assemblies. For more complex models, you'll have no choice, you'll have to go the sub-assembly way.

But congratulations, you're using Asm4 exactly as it has been designed for.

I used the realthunder build for this, and the current model is attached.
I have this error message, I dunno if it's related (I use a source-compiled version):

Code: Select all

22:06:11  SketchObject::onChanged(): Unmanaged change of Constraint Property results in invalid constraint indices
22:06:11  SketchObject::onChanged(): Unmanaged change of Constraint Property results in invalid constraint indices
mcdanlj

Post by mcdanlj »

Zolko wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:17 pm this is true if you want all your assembly in a single document. This is actually a particularity of FreeCAD, no other CAD package allows you to do this. Another approach would make you put all the hardware moving together in a sub-assembly in a separate file, and make the assembly from those sub-assemblies. For more complex models, you'll have no choice, you'll have to go the sub-assembly way.

But congratulations, you're using Asm4 exactly as it has been designed for.
Thank you! Yes, I can see that this is about as complex an assembly as I'd want to have in a single document; naming things, changing sketch attachment, and so forth is hitting a limit.

One of the reasons I wanted it all in one document was that it made rich parameterization relatively easy.
I have this error message, I dunno if it's related (I use a source-compiled version):
I think that was an error that I've fixed since as I continued to refine the design. I don't want to spam the forum with every new FCStd version, but https://gitlab.com/mcdanlj/KeywayCutter has the save-as-directory latest, and if people want to see it I can upload latest as an FCStd file.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

mcdanlj wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:18 pm I finally realized that all the hardware that is supposed to move with a part should just be a separate body in the part it moves with
looking at your model, the part "Sleeve" is made of a part (yellow icon) that holds a "Sleeve" body (blue icon): this is unnecessary in Asm4, you can use PartDesign bodies directly as parts, you don't need to wrap them into parts (yes, I know it's confusing). If you have "parts" made out of several "parts" then your solution (putting several bodies into a part and assembling that part) is interesting.
mcdanlj

Post by mcdanlj »

Zolko wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:34 pm looking at your model, the part "Sleeve" is made of a part (yellow icon) that holds a "Sleeve" body (blue icon): this is unnecessary in Asm4, you can use PartDesign bodies directly as parts, you don't need to wrap them into parts (yes, I know it's confusing). If you have "parts" made out of several "parts" then your solution (putting several bodies into a part and assembling that part) is interesting.
Oh. Thank you. I just followed what I understood of Asm4_Tutorial1 and Asm4_Tutorial2, trying to adjust for the changes in vocabulary (like "Model" becoming "Assembly"). The "Bit" and "QCTPBlock" in my file are also like that.

I originally intended the "Shaft" as a single part, and realized later that I was going to want to add a grub screw to it. (Originally, I was going to use a very small taper to hold the bit, then for several reasons switched to a grub screw engaging a flat on the bit.) So if I had started with PartDesign bodies, could I have dragged them into Asm4_newPart parts later to add the grub screws to include in the Asm4 Assembly?

The purpose of the Asm4_newPart and Asm4_newBody actions is not clear to me. I've tried to read a lot of this thread but pulling fundamental concepts like that out of it is hard. What is the purpose of Asm4 Parts? (link to doc or earlier comment that I could have read would be awesome; I have read a lot and haven't understood this yet so it's not because I just didn't try. ☹)